Calum Chambers

There’s the definitely possibility both do, sadly

1 Like

Worth more than that, surely

Quite frankly there’s probably more value in keeping him in the squad atm, even though he isn’t the quality we want. This is especially true if Koscielny does indeed leave.

I’d much rather sell Mustafi and keep Chambers for another season until we have (hopefully) enough quality CBs in.

I don’t think there’s a difference between Mustafi and Chambers in defence tbh

Probably not much, but I don’t see Chambers making as many schoolboy errors just because that would be impossible.

2 Likes

Get rid of Mustafi, Koscielny might be going too?, keep Chambers and sign Andersen.

Andersen, Sokratis, Holding, Chambers, Mavro… Bielik?

Not great but we’re a poverty club.

I’m really opposed to this idea honestly. He obviously isn’t what he was, but this past season he showed that he could still do a job when called upon.

He surely won’t be able to play that much again but if he could play say 15-20 matches for us next season when we’re in need, I really don’t think we should let him go.

We’re so low on quality back there and he’s still our best CB when he’s fit enough. I’d be keeping him around the place personally.

Chambers is not a very good defender. “Better than Mustafi” shouldn’t really be the only criteria :laughing:

Chambers has been primarily been playing as a DM this season so i’m not sure if bringing him back for CB cover will work – he was dreadful when he played there for Fulham, but made the DM role his own. I get the sense in selling him, but think we should hold out for more money. He still has 3 years left on his contract. We should try find a buyer in England – can get more money from a PL team. Didn’t Leicester offer us £20m for him at one point?

Retain

He could fetch £20m and I think that’s an invaluable sum of money to be honest with you given our circumstances.

He really found his feet last season in the CDM role and put in a few impressive performance there. I’d keep him and see if he can establish himself even in a utility fashion.

1 Like

14m euros feels a little derisory but then it’s imperative to add a buy buck clause. If he improves we can either use him in the future, or we can make a profit by triggering the clause and quickly selling him on.

That could potentially fund our transfer for Praet and it’s a no brainer who I’d rather have in our midfield.

I’d sell at that price.

I want to see if Chambers has developed qualities to work well in the midfield tbh

1 Like

I’d sell at 20 million pounds but not 14 mil Euros. Also financially it’s way better having players like Chambers at 3rd or 4th choice, than say Elneny. If he puts together a string of decent performances for us that 14 million could double or treble over night due to English hype.

Not that we’d ever be smart enough to sell anyone in hype for max profit.

5 Likes

We need players who will work on the field and Chambers will do that. Not sure he has the quality will need long term but after working hard for Fulham he deserves at least a year.

Chambers is versatile, and easily good enough as cover at CB and DM, although I don’t want to see him anywhere near the RB position, where he was embarrassing.

I doubt any other club is going to offer us more than 15m, so we might as well keep him.

We can’t get rid of Mustafi, Kos and Chambers in the same window without replacing at least two of them.

I think we can easily get £20m for Chambers. He’s young, English and he’s just coming off the back of his best individual campaign. He’s got caps for England and he’s versatile too.

In an age where Watford pay nearly £20m for Andre Gray we can get that fee for Chambers.

2 Likes

But that’s why we should keep him.
There are a lot of players that aren’t as good we should be getting rid of before Chambers.
There is still potential in him so we might as well be the club to benefit from it.

2 Likes

It’s hard to imagine he’ll ever be good enough to be a regular for us and I think what this season showed was that with an extended run and a 30-40 game season he can produce decent mid-lower level PL football. He will only stagnate sitting on our bench. We need to capitalise now when his stock is highest. We end up regretting it otherwise imo.

5 Likes