Brexit

Don’t get why this clip is circulated at as “gotcha” moment by the FBPE weirdos.

The issue with a second referendum is that it wasn’t initially prescribed for beforehand by parliament.

Having a second referendum now looks exactly like ignoring the result because the outcome was unfavourable to the establishment. The funny thing is, if the result was reversed, on what basis what the 48% of leavers have to demand a second referendum on EU membership? Or even a renegotiation of membership?

Second referendum not prescribed for beforehand is bad democratic precedent. What do we do if the turn out is significantly lower than the 2016 vote? What if there’s no clear majority ie65%?

2 Likes

Nothing, other than he’s a massive hypocrite.

Personally I’m quite looking forward to seeing how this shit show develops :slight_smile:

To the UK folks, how much popular support is there for a second referendum at this point? It looks clear (from the outside) that May has no clue what she’s doing and won’t be able to get a deal through Parliament.

Also, why wouldn’t Corbyn come out in favor of a second referendum? It seems crazy to me that the head of a party like Labour, which appears to be made up of a lot of the Remain folks (i.e.: young, progressive, cosmopolitan, not racists or xenophobic assholes) should be going hard in the paint for a second vote.

Not sure if it’s a good reference, but today’s march looks likely to exceed the 2003 protest against the Iraq war.

3 Likes

Doesn’t Britain still have troops in Iraq though? :arteta:

1 Like

That march failed to change policy, and so will this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:papa::papa::papa::papa:

The membership may be mostly as you’ve described, but plenty of Labour constituencies voted to leave. And obviously Labour are reluctant to isolate leavers generally because they need more seats in order to win a GE, so it’s not just about playing to the base you’ve described.

2 Likes

That’s the complication of this remain/leave vote it crosses party politics.

3 Likes

@JakeyBoy summed it up well. Most of Labours target seats are Leave, plus most of it’s most vulnerable seats are Leave. In fact its only really our safe seats which are Remain.

There’s also a very big Labour and trade union segment which is against the EU, and has always been so. Including @Joshua, our Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell. There’s also quite a few young, progressive lefty types on alternative media who are either Leave or sympathetic to Leave. Just stumbled on Lexit the Movie on YouTube earlier today - a good case, despite having to listen to Kate Hoey and George Galloway. Some good people talking on it too, mind.

2 Likes

:gabriel::gabriel::gabriel:

1 Like

Nigel Farage has given a statement to sky news that if Brexit looks like it’s not going to happen the way he wants it he will come back and this time it’s no more Mr nice guy!!.. I’m hidding behind the settee :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Farage II: This Time It’s Personal!

5 Likes

What’s Farage gonna do, fail to win in my constituency again? :arteta:

5 Likes

I mean, you’re all missing the much bigger picture here. Forget May forget Rees-Mogg forget Corbyn forget the EU it’s my birthday on the 29th March.

4 Likes

ComRes poll puts leave the EU with a 15% lead. That’s it’s highest margin to date.

Stay in EU only on 35% Leave in one form or other 50%

Yeah second referendumers have no chance. Even if a majority regret the decision many people just want to go ahead with it now

Just vote for May’s deal and we can move on ffs

Like most politicians, Corbyn is only interested in getting his hands on power and if saying he wants a second referendum means he might lose votes, he won’t do it.

For me, he is one of the worst leaders that Labour have had.

Dude, he’s ahead in the polls despite being in the most polorized and fractured political climate since world war 2. I’m unlikely to see my favoured Brexit outcome from him, but fair play to him he’s done a sterling job of trying to be even handed on Brexit whilst keeping his eyes on the prize. No one else in Labour would be anywhere near power right now nor able to put so much pressure on May.