Brexit

On the radio they said it was worded in a way that she wouldn’t contest in 2022 but wouldn’t necessarily not stand if any snap election was called (which she may have to do if minority government continues to fail her as it currently is).

Think May will win a comfortable majority but it changes nothing. Parliament is deadlocked and no deal is the default if no deal is agreed with the EU. It will take something almighty to happen in parliament for an unthinkable and disastrous no deal to not occur come April. Just hope we find a way out of this impasse and save our jobs and economy from ignorant Tory boys

1 Like

If she wins then they’ve fucked it.

As much as I don’t want a Tory government, I still think it’s better than no government which feels like what we’ve got now. We may need a general election to sort the situation out but I don’t think May could ever get herself a majority and she’s probably there for at least another year.

When the last election happened we were all sort of over Brexit because it was so far away and we’d already spent so much time and energy worrying about it, so it became an election about domestic policy but right now I don’t see Corbyn winning a Brexit-centric election based on Labour’s Brexit position.

I could see people getting behind a “statesman” Tory though if they were saying the right things about going to Europe and sorting it out (not sure who though)

1 Like

Don’t think they have a statesman type. Only utter cretins.

As for Labour in an election I don’t see many Remainers peeling away, so it would depend on which cretin the Tories go for.

I did read on Twitter someone saying that the Tory Eurosceptics are considering voting with Labour in a no confidence vote. I think the term used was they are ready to go full nuclear lol.

She won 200-117.

1 Like

200-117

Might aswell resign with a tally like that

1 Like

What’s this? :grin:

Wow she’s a total lame duck now.

just now?..was thinking this just a little before this.

Rees-Mogg: I accept the result but I think the Prime Minister should realise that under all constitutional norms, she aught to pay a visit to the Queen urgently and resign.

1 Like

Uff thats a blow to her. Not sure where we go from here, we genuinely expecting it to be around the 100 mark an no more

I don’t get the feeling this is a “lets get on with it and back the prime minister” kind of result. They’ll be sticking the knife in continuously from here.

It’s a bit rich to say she should resign because she can’t get stuff through parliament though, when everything she’s failed on is basically all over the same issue.

Is he saying that he’s not going to vote with her on other issues in the future?

So a 2/3 majority is a slim margin? I get that it’s her party, but it’s hardly a squeaker is it?

1 Like

The thing is for any Brexit deal to pass she’ll need to rely on about 80% of her party at least (even more so considering this is a minority govt). It makes her a PM that can’t pass through a key bit of legislation

2 Likes

Ah, thank you. I guess I’m used to the conservatives over here who stick together even after a big internal fracas.

They’re trying to stick together to keep Corbyn out but they’re not so good at it as the republicans :grin:

1 Like

Imagine if brexiteer Tories help get Corbyn in! :arteta:

Tbf, maybe I’m crazy but I’m sure they’d know Corbyn is more of a brexiteer than Theresa May, so maybe they’d find common ground there in a possible opposition led vote of no confidence.

Haha you’re just crazy :wink: No way the Tories would support Corbyn. The Brexits they want are too different, the only common ground they share is in the name Brexit

1 Like

And I see the mail and express are going with headlines supporting May. Shame the no-deal brexit they inadvertently advocated has been let out the bag and will be tough to put down now is on the cards.

Just reading some of the reptiles on Twitter pretending that no deal will be as simple as walking away from the negotiations with £39billion in our pocket makes me sick

1 Like