Brexit

The latest quotes being attributed to May are astounding.

They (in Northern Ireland) do not want a return to a hard Border. And if this House cares about preserving our union, it must listen to those people because our union will only endure with their consent

The reports I read are interpreting that as a threat that the DUP and others should get on board or otherwise a united Ireland could come about but that prospect is far more complicated.

I’m fairly certain the Irish Government won’t be spending any money to erect or staff a boarder that nobody wants so I really can’t see how an actual hard boarder could work. There’s literally nothing to gain by having one.

1 Like

You’re forgetting we’ll get blue passports :stuck_out_tongue:

I was talking about a hard boarder in Ireland there. Blue passports aren’t contingent on that.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

watching the live MP debate (I tuned in mainly because it is funny to hear people yell “hear hear” in the background and that occasionally someone yells give way and whoever is speaking has to shut up LOL) and I conclude that MPs with a scottish accent seem to make the most sense when they argue.

It also seems that most of the arguments from angry MPs are about either 1) how May has been poor at negotiating and now the deal is bad and she’s at fault, as if the actual negotiation technique by that very human being carrys a relative weight compare to the actual raw numbers the UK can put up in all and every of the discussed categories of politics in the eyes of the EU negotiatiors, and that it is disrespectful to democracy to not honour the vote result, as if democracy means you simply have to stick to decisions made in the past even in the light of new information that would make people change their minds. Which is also strange.

tl:dr; what is actually going on, and where are the white wigs? I forgot to say I also believed there would be wigs, but I see none.

German thing trying to keep a Brit locked into something it doesn’t want to be in. Hmm. :thinking:

It does get boring hearing the same question get asked and asked and asked again.

“Thank you, Mr Speaker. Given that blah blah blah, does the Prime MInister not think it would be the democratic thing to do to give the question back to the people in a people’s vote.”

I love the guy who yells order though. He’s brilliant, he’s kind of carrying the show imo.

2 Likes

John Bercrow, my favourite Tory and a Gooner as well!

Here he is speaking to AFTV:

Check 9:45 too, he blasts out an ‘order!!!’ at Robbie too.

2 Likes

slap me around and call me Susan, he’s a gooner!? :rofl: what a champ, get him on AFTV as a standard for fucks sake, he’ll sort things out

Some are trying to spin this like people are defecting en-masse because of the odd person on a phone in saying they changed their mind (I’m not sure how the European media are covering it), but I don’t know a single person who voted to leave in the real world that has even slightly changed their mind.

1 Like

I know plenty. Half of my family voted leave, and now have buyer’s regret.

I understand and I am curious about whether or not the popular opinion in the UK has changed, but I was more confused by the argument that it is (or it sounded like they implied it is) honouring democracy to leave because the vote 2.5 yrs ago said so rather than to be open to listening to new ideas, as if democracy implies abiding by the old popular opinion over any current popular opinion in general because there is some component of “sticking to your choice”. As a general statement it is kind of strange is what I meant.

4 Likes

The thing it’s not like that; it’s more to the point the choice was made, but the process is taking long.

3 Likes

I mean what did people really expect? This was always going to be a disaster because the EU were never going to let the UK leave with a favourable deal. Then you’ve got the fact that the woman who took on the role of leading the country through this period never wanted to leave to begin with. And too many MPs oppose leaving anyway. So it was always going to be a disaster.

4 Likes

She’s surely thinking about just walking away at this stage. Let some other cunt at it.

I’ve been thinking that for ages but she seems to relish power.
If she wins she’s immune from another challenge for a year, so if anything it could give her even more power (assuming she wins).

Also if she loses Article 50 will surely have to extended

Yeah I’m not sure why she’d bother holding on to keep the ability to fail on a deal she doesn’t want again in the future.

Clinging on surely just damages her party more.

EU called May’s buff when they realised we weren’t taking any preparation for no deal.

Question is now if she does go and a Brexiter gets in how well prepared are we?