Brexit

It could be better. The main obstacle of course is that all the rights we do hold which are protected by the EU, would in all likelihood be put into the shredder by the Conservatives - things like the working week, holiday and sick pay, pay in general. Then there is quality control on things like food, medicine, building materials. Obviously we don’t want asbestos in buildings like the USA is now doing thanks to one of Trumps deregulations. If we left the EU we’d likely do trade with the US and that would mean embracing their deregulated medicines and foods. Not good. Human rights is another. Of course there is no reason we have to make things worse, we could easily seek to improve on what the EU stipulates. But fat chance if its the Tories. @Jules is not wrong when he says we enjoy quite a bit from the EU. The question is also how do we move beyond the economics of a perpetual stagnated economy whilst in the EU without reforming it (which will be close to impossible). The Tories have no answer to this, and they may well be in power (are in power) as we leave. Leave will be hard. Don’t kid yourself.

3 Likes

None of the things you mentioned like workers rights or quality standards are binding on any Parliament though. Labour could come to power in 2022 and easily implement whatever standards their manifesto promises

The ideal behind Brexit was that an elected parliament could choose to alter or amend any existing EU’s standards as it so chooses without any outside interference

So essentially anyone who doesn’t want to send the economy into the shitter for the working majority?

Not anywhere as restrictive as effectively being unable to trade with the EU or anyone the EU have treaties with.

Do you really want us to be a tax haven as many Tories want us to be without a healthcare system? Because that’s the root you’re going down here.

I think for a lot of people, restricting freedom of movement outweighs all the negatives. Even when it restricts their own freedom of movement.

Ironically no government has actually wanted to restrict movement because of the economic benefits. If Cameron had said this is a vote on the EU but if we come out we’re going to need more immigration from Asia and Africa in order to make trade deals it would of been a different result.

3 Likes

@Mysty my mate made this and I thought you’d appreciate it

8 Likes

“Maybe single people eat crackers. We don’t know, frankly, we don’t wanna know”

Shocking how I can recall that :grin:

3 Likes

So even Phil Hammond is now admitting that people will be worse off.

The EU is a family. A happy family. Maybe countries outside the single market can prosper. We don’t know, and frankly we don’t want to know.

2 Likes

Ah, brilliant episode. I think this seems appropriate to include into this conversation too.

It's%20a%20door%2C%20use%20it

UK: I want a divorce!
EU: A…divorce?!
Awkward slience
EU: Sure, divorce…Hey, you got it toots! And here’s a picture, even you can figure out…
EU: It’s a DOOR, USE IT.
USA: That’s a door?

1 Like

That’s your assumption.

More talking points nothing concrete; just more rich verse poor.

Can you explain what you mean here please?

The focus on tories wanting tax havens without proof of that; considering a various amount of people cross class and cultural background voted out.

So far everything is pinned on racist and ill informed, acting as if we are the standard bearers of with is virtuous and morally right. At the end of the day many other European countries are Disillusioned by the Brussels, should called stupid and ill informed about how their feel? My questions is how do other western countries fair outside the union?

I agree with the overall principle that by no means is calling all leave voters stupid etc. But I don’t see any other country leaving the EU after us, and there are barely any countries outside the EU/EEA in Europe which are not despotits.

But who in the hell become one; which is what May’s damn shitty deal is doing.

Maybe some will leave who knows; some of the crap out Europe about an army, and being an empire is very worrying for European sovereignty

Who’s said this?

Macron, while talking about a European army to fend off Russia China and America