Brexit

Poor forgotten Wales :grimacing:

They’re Cornish anyway lol.

1 Like

On what basis do you make out that’s even wanted?

Why wouldn’t it be wanted?

You have heard of the DUP, right?

Yeah lol, but a no deal means there would need to be a new political settlement and the DUP would rightly recognise they were no longer part of the UK. And the Tories, the Unionists, will have been the ones to do it.

Honestly, I don’t know what to say about the Irish situation, but no choice we make can be done to make the DUP happy so lets just get on with it.

Well, it’s certainly more complicated than that…

I understand it’s complications, but what can be done? There is no solution to the Irish border question, and you cant remain in Europe just for them. In the absence of a solution the onus is on them to accommodate something.

Is Gibraltar never mentioned because it’s not a good enough bargaining chip?

That’s horseshit. They are 1.5m people in a Union of 60 million and it’s not even remotely their fault this situation exists.

This very complication was reason enough that the question should never have been asked and if where we are now is that it can’t be answered well then it’s tough shit on Brexit. It’s not an excuse to create yet another clusterfuck.

The problem would have existed with or without the DUP anyway. It was raised by the Irish Government as a red line issue on day one.

1 Like

@shamrockgooner what’s your view on a unified Ireland? Not likelihood, feasibility or what the majority want in both countries, but what would you like?

But it was asked, and the Irish people were sold down the river by Cameron.

There is no deal to be made. So really there is no outcome but no deal.

What we should be doing is accepting this, with both Labour and Conservative putting forward their no deal visions ready for a general election. Within that would hopefully be some kind of solution for Ireland. What that would look like I have no idea. What do you think should be done?

I honestly don’t know.

Really if this can’t be resolved Brexit shouldn’t happen. Those in charge should stop pretending like that’s not an option.

@JakeyBoy I don’t have an opinion either way. If the day ever comes that it’s put to the country in a referrendum then I’ll consider it properly, until then it’s a non issue to me. I doubt my life materially changes either way.

Disunited Kingdom :wink:

But it isn’t an option. I don’t want to be locked into a flawed economic model forever because of the Irish situation, and i don’t think that undoing a democratic decision is very wise either. We really can’t just Remain because the problem appears intractable. Why can’t the DUP accept May’s proposal it sounded pretty sensible?

It’s definitely an option. Just not a palatable one.

I don’t have any issues with the proposal myself but I don’t hold the balance of power in Westminster. That’s the position May and co went into negotiations with.

1 Like

Everything shpuld be done to get a deal because a no deal should not be a realistic option for an advanced nation (or any nation).

I can’t really speak about the Irish issue too much but if Ireland were to ever be unified it should only ever be done through the gradual passing of time and changing demographics, a sudden border poll will solve nothing and will cause deeper issues. So whether we like it or not, if there is a deal or a no deal situation, the Irish border issue will remain for some years to come.

1 Like

Howling

3 Likes

Demographics are coming round to it though, no?