Brexit

I could see that but I’m not 100% sure.

This isn’t the party of John Major anymore, it’s the party of Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins (in terms of endorsements)

I have a feeling a lot of his MPs and his base as very pro-Hard Brexit. It’s not just the ERG anymore, no?

But also, doesn’t the trade deal negotiations happen after the withdrawal agreement? Or is that the trade deal>

1 Like

A free trade deal that is “fair” is what hardcore leavers ideally want. By fair they mean free frictionless trade, bilateral access to each others market and massive regulatory divergence which is basically a fantasy and something the EU would never agree to.

WTO relationship is the only other option that achieves a meaningful separation from the EU but of course it would devastate this country

Yay another 4 years of Brexit negotiations

Fuck the government and fuck Boris to quote the legend that is Stormzy

That’s what Leavers voted for though.

Also probably more a case of technically abandoning them to rewrite them again in British law removing any mention of EU, EEC, CM etc etc etc.

2 Likes

Pretty sure a lot of EU laws were adopted from British law lol; at most they’d probably probably get rid of the shit ones.

This trade negotiation will be really interesting to see develop and follow. Doesn’t look like either Boris or EU will blink first. I think we’re heading to a managed no deal “deal” at least in the short term

Big odds on a united Ireland I think if we get a hard border in NI. @shamrockgooner

England losing us and NI there precious union is in tatters :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I don’t think there’s any possibility of a united Ireland this century.

1 Like

Every English person I know really isn’t bothered at all about the idea of Scotland or NI leaving the union. They all think independence/separation is a choice for the Scottish and N Irish respectively. It’s sad that so many Scottish voters don’t see the benefit Scotland derives from being in the union but if you want your independence it’s entirely down to you in both my opinion and that of my mates and good luck to you if your compatriots vote it through when you get your next referendum.

5 Likes

What are these benefits?

1 Like

If you google “benefits Scotland derives from being in the union” you’ll see a number of well written articles that are better than anything I could write in a short post on here and some also describe the other side of the argument too.

One article in the spectator states that Scotland gets to spend something like 127 pounds for every 100 pounds it raises in tax revenues largely due to the subsidy it gets from the rest of the UK. Then there are the benefits of frictionless trade between the UK nations and freedom of movement and shared national security resources etc.

But honestly as a London born southern England resident I really don’t think it’s down to me to have any say on Scotland’s future or to make arguments either way (and I apologise for expressing the view that I think Scotland derives benefits from the Union even) and I’m very supportive of whatever decision the Scottish people wish to take.

3 Likes

Commonwealth trade block in the mud :ozil:

Free movement is something that would benefit Australians alot more than the UK.

Maybe their government is worried about a talent drain?

1 Like

“End freedom of movement!”

“Hey Australia, can we have freedom of movement?”

“No, fuck off”

1 Like

I’d say it’s more to do with losing control of their pretty strict existing immigration controls (to a country close to three times it’s population).

Aren’t Aussies in England mainly 20-25 year olds who are there for a year or two and to do some traveling?

I haven’t got recent stats but i know there’s a pretty robust Australian concentration settled in the UK particlarly in London. I can comfortably say most of these people are mid level working professionals for the most part rather tourists.

The impression I always got was the standards of the UK higher education system and the size/diversity/opportunities of the UK economy appeals to younger Australians to build careers here.

Just from my perception it’s extremely rare to have younger brits moving to Aus to settle for an extended period. People who tend to do that are older established professionals with families who have ability to secure employment and afford the cost of living/moving OR retirees

1 Like

Where would you find stats on this? Can you link to the stats your opinion is based on please? I don’t say that as a challenge, I inferred from your phrasing that while you don’t have the latest stats, you do have some, which would be interesting.

To me it feels like most Australians in London are under thirty and here for a couple years (though I’m sure some end up staying), but being under thirty myself, I probably just happen to bump into the younger Aussies in pubs and bars etc rather than the potentially older, more settled mid level professionals, which will skew my view on gnificantly I’d have thought.

Interesting stuff.

It’s based off the 2011 census, which ranked Australian born nationals within the top 10 of foreign nationalities living in the UK at the time. I’ve seen conflicting figures but ONS report from a 2017 survey calculates that although the number of Australian born nationals living int he UK has increased by a small % the overall number now ranks at 19th foreign nationalities living in the UK. This is because migrant numbers from the EU has exploded basically. (The 2011 census had 60,00 Poles living here, by 2017 it was close to 1M in the space of couple years )

Of course, there are various articles I taken bits of information from which have published in light of a prospective trade talks between AUS and the UK.

The mid level professional thing is based on my own antidotal experience of working in London in different public sectors and reasonable assumptions I know about immigration to the UK from developed nations outside of the EU.

1 Like

Just imagine the flood of Brits (young and old) that would move out there if there was freedom of movement. It would quickly become the most popular destination to retire and attract a lot of migration across all sectors.