Boxing

Eubank (even with the weight drain) will flatten the inexperienced Benn. It’s simply a money grab for both fighters and an easy way for DAZN to launch its ppv model over here. I’m still surprised that they haven’t established either a TV channel or agreement for the app to be available on Virgin and Sky.

With regard to what happens after the fight. Eubank becomes ppv and will fight GGG or Saunders. Conor Benn gathers more interest and probably campaigns at 154 before the likes of Spence, Crawford, Ennis and Ortiz move up.

2 Likes

I think Benn is going to maul Eubank. I think it’ll be quite an easy fight for him too the drain in weight will hurt Chris.

Not to mention Eubank career winding down now.

Joshua wants to fight again in December but Fury still chasing a ridiculous trilogy against Chisora. If AJ loses an AJ-Fury fight is a thousand times bigger than Chisora III would ever be

1 Like

Aside from potential difficulties in making weight for Eubank (this is a big problem), he has every potential edge over Benn.

From tangibles like reach and height to intangibles such as experience. I like Benn, but he’s inexperienced and been in the ring with nobody of note. He’s been knocking down tin cans and washed up fighters. Regardless of result, Eubank has been in there with Saunders, DeGale and Groves and you learn a li from fights like that.

Benn does have raw aggression and the way he pressures fighters can make many crumble. He throws in bunches and hits hard. His defence isn’t great though and Eubank is cerebral.

A loss doesn’t dent Benn unless he gets hurt (think Kell Brook after GGG), a loss for Eubank ends his career.

He’s got to get past Usyk first, which isn’t a given.

1 Like

Fury is a genius. He’s a brilliant fighter, but his self promotion is incredible.

He really knows how to stay relevant. Obviously, he’s relevant as WBC champion, but there seems to be more talk about Fury at the moment than Joshua and Usyk!

He said win or loss the plan is to fight again in December.

Right, but if AJ loses, then there really is no point in Fury fighting him at that point.

AJ will put bums on seats and get ppv sales regardless. If he did lose again to Usyk (I can’t see it), a rematch against White, a eliminator against Wilder or even Dubois would do very well in this country.

Those fights are still available if he wins. AJ will be fine.

Outside of committed boxing fans and people who don’t like AJ, Usyk is just a gifted fighter with an amazing pedigree. The world’s biggest boxing markets don’t give two shits about him.

Why not? Fury won’t fight Usyk and anybody with two eyes can see Chisora III is a useless fight

1 Like

Well we can cross that bridge when we get there, and if Fury doesn’t fight the winner of that fight then we can all agree he’s dodging it.

But if AJ loses, there is no reason for that fight until Fury fights Usyk first.

1 Like

Do you think AJ wins the rematch? I’m torn. He didn’t actually do much wrong in the first fight he just got out skilled. I just don’t see how he adjusts unless he tries to fight on the front foot more but that leaves him prone to counter punches and I don’t think he has the ability to do that anymore. He fights scared since the Ruiz loss.

I completely agree with you. If he doesn’t fight Usyk then AJ is the only logical opponents for him. If he fights neither and pursues a trilogy with Chisora then it’s typical Fury behaviour.

1 Like

He has to win early. Get on Usyk and brute force a win. If the fight goes beyond 5-6 rounds, I can’t see AJ winning. Usyk is just too slick a boxer.

I guess it all depends on what Garcia brings to the AJ camp. If he can press AJ to push early and create a physical affair then he can win. But AJ has never been someone who does that. His entire career since he turned pro has been about picking his punches and trying to box. I think we all have been guilty of having that misconception that he’s a power puncher who obliterated opponents back in the day but he’s actually always been a ‘boxer’ in how he approaches fights.

I think if he can assert a stiff jab, use his range well and cut off the ring on Usyk he can win the fight.

1 Like

Very confident that A. J. wins the rematch. He’s changed his style since Wlad dropped him and it’s taken away everything that made him so feared by opponents. Their has to be a balance between sweet science and raw aggression, but AJ went too far towards trying to be a pugilist.

Usyk is a fantastic boxer. It’s not even his punches that do the damage - it’s his movement and timing. Fighters looked physically, mentally and emotionally drained after fighting him! He’s a hard man to predict and harder to hit, but you have to be prepared to hit first and third. Of course, he can move out of the way and counter, but you have to throw flurries. Tony Bellew was brilliant for 5 rounds.

AJ/Usyk 1 is the worst I’ve ever seen AJ. Hopefully, Garcia can bring out the AJ that had Martin and Brezeale beat at the weigh in, took it to the street with Dillian and got off the canvas and put Wlad on his back.

Expecting a vicious knock out.

1 Like

Yeah, I think AJ needs to use his size, strength and weight and bully Usyk to win.

Usyk needs to do something similar to his first win to win but may need more movement and cardio. Too much to ask, maybe?

I think that’s AJ’s only path to victory. Usyk is far too slick for AJ to outbox him.

So pumped for this.

Anyone want to put an OA bet on it? I’ll slap £10 down on an AJ win even though I’m not sure the outcome. Who wants to match that?

Yeah go on, I’ll take that for sure mate.

1 Like

I don’t feel well enough informed to take the bet. I’ll have to google who has the best shoulder roll.

5 Likes