Boxing

I can’t remember if I scored it a draw or to Alvarez but I didn’t have GGG winning. I thought Alvarez won enough rounds on landing the cleaner stuff. GGG might have hurt Alvarez at some stage IIRC but that doesn’t affect a fight that’s scored on round by round basis. I don’t have a dog in that fight either, just scoring according to my criteria, ie accurate punching. I haven’t watched it again since though

But who have been the biggest stars in mma until now? McGregor, Rousey, Saint-Pierre and Lesnar… Two of those bring/brought drama and Lesnar has his WWE-background. I wonder if the Legend of Khabib would have gotten as big if McGregor wouldn’t have come onto his pad.

They were personalities, that’s fine. Mohammad Ali was, as was Mike Tyson, as is Mayweather.

They were still highly regarded mainly because of their talent.

That’s not the case with KSI, Logan Paul. Frankly, some of the stuff is unsafe.

No self-respecting combat sport debauches itself by giving the likes of Nate Robinson a boxing licence.

It’s like these stupid uni boxing nights allowing full fights with no head gear for almost complete amateurs (anyone who goes uni will know about these), but all the way to the top.

It’s embarrassing.

If I was an oil sheikh, the first thing I’d do is buy out all these shitty sanctioning bodies and merge them into one.

Then have a huge fuck off tournament for every weight class (not whatever stupid weight class the WBC/A tried to create to be below heavyweight I can’t even remember but it was so dumb) with every champion including lineals to crown the definitive champions and move on from there.

This would be the point I’d argue. If we talk about MMA usually those ppv with Championships fights sold around 300-500k pay per views. Diaz vs McGregor does 1.3/1.6 million. Do people really care about the talent, the sports of MMA and boxing?

Surely you can acknowledge there’s a difference between Diaz and McGregor, and KSI and Logan Paul?

There is a difference of course.

But this argument that the sport suffers I don’t agree with per se. Bullshit, marketing, money grabbing fights happen all the time. The mainstream public doesn’t care about boxing or MMA anyway :wink:.

These kind of frankly unsafe bouts with amateurs or clowns being the biggest draws is a new thing though.

1 Like

Do you remember the one where Andrew Flintoff tried his hand at boxing?

It’s almost an insult to the sport

This is poor. We get YouTubers instead

I thought Logan Paul looked pretty good, considering he’s not a pro. He’s definitely putting in the hours at the gym.

So…anyone watching the Joshua fight tonight?
Hughie Fury just had a good win, and I think AJ will win, but I would not be surprised if Pulev gets a win here…I reckon could go either way, but AJ slight favourite.

1 Like

Ashley Lane - I used to train and box with this guy in Bristol. In the last year he went FULL ON anti-vax, Bill Gates eats babies, JFK was abducted by aliens conspiracy theory mentalist on Facebook. Honestly looked like he was falling deeper and deeper into a mental health diagnosis. Suffice to say I was very surprised to see him on the undercard for the Joshua - Pulev fight lol :joy:

Light work for AJ this

I know nothing about boxing but my TL goes mad whenever AJ is fighting, so guessing he won :grin:

Does this mean it’s set up for him to fight Fury now?

Enjoyable fight.

Fury is destroying AJ based on this, though.

1 Like

AJ hasn’t got past the loss to Ruiz. The confidence and belief has gone. Fury will do him on mind games outside the ring and dictate the fight in the ring.

1 Like

It doesn’t really look like he has that killer instinct, does it?

He’s like the nicest heavyweight I’ve ever seen and I think that transmits into the ring.

AJ walks through Fury very easily. Wouldn’t really be too tough a fight for him at all.

I think Fury will go down as one of the most overrated champions in heavyweight boxing history

1 Like

AJ lost confidence now. Can see it in him. He’s not enjoying his boxing there’s doubt in his mind. Can’t afford it. Ruiz broke him.

1 Like