Bernd Leno

https://twitter.com/OsmanZtheGooner/status/1007007169835929600

Yeah, itā€™s good that weā€™re signing a keeper who canā€™t get into the Germany squad over Kevin Trapp - a man who has made just 4 appearances for his club this seasonā€¦

Not that I begrudge Kevin Trapp though. The man is fit! (I know you love my hot guy pictures, Luca :wink: )

:heart_eyes:

I read somewhere that Trapp got in ahead of Leno because Ter Stegen and Leno hate each other.

In any case, ā‚¬22m is about Ā£17m.

I donā€™t mind spending that on giving Leno a punt. Maybe a change of pace is what he needs.

2 Likes

The backlash from Arsenal fans towards Leno is really strange and difficult to understand. When it comes to goalkeepers itā€™s hard to really evaluate them unless you are watching them week in week out for your club. Itā€™s an area where stats donā€™t seem to do any justice to a player and certainly paint a myopic profile.

What I find most ironic is that many Arsenal fans who slate Leno seem to believe that Szczesny would be our answer, which - having watched him week in, week out for my club- I find hilarious.

9 Likes

Are you sure? Isnā€™t the exchange rate something like ā‚¬1 = ~.88. That would be closer to 20 million.

Yeah itā€™s actually Ā£19m.

Whatever, Iā€™d still do it.

Iā€™m all for being optimistic but Leno seems to be the same keeper he was in his early 20ā€™s, doesnā€™t seem to have ironed out mistakes and lapses in concentration, he also doesnā€™t have the consistency you would expect for a keeper of his experience.

Maybe he comes here and it all clicks into place and he becomes the keeper weā€™ve been waiting for but lets be real itā€™s quite unlikely.

Seems some people are getting happy at a new signing but theyā€™ll be the first ones calling him shit should be exactly what heā€™s been like at Leverkusen in recent years.

I get the feeling that Sven knows our roster is a complete mess. So heā€™s using his network to get us some decent upgrades for the time being to give Emery something to work with. I think unearthing those gems like Dembele is a secondary priority atm because heā€™s got to do a shit ton of work just to get us back to challenge for top 4 again.

4 Likes

Our new GK coaching team will sort him out!

Typical of you :facepalm:

Hasnā€™t Javi Garcia coached ā€˜being an absolute titā€™ out of Areola?

I really know nothing about Leno either way to make any judgement so far although Iā€™m hoping he dethrones Cech immediately.

Mavropanos and Torreira? Both are u-23. Adli Arsenal were talking with too before he made the u-turn. Mislintat/Arsenal are actually looking at prospects. Iā€™m not sure Lichtsteiner and Sokratis are upgrades they fill holes but to call them upgrades seems like a bit much.

Torreira is young but heā€™s a starting xi player, hopefully putting Xhaka to the bench or maybe we can sell him. Donā€™t see how Socratis could be shittier than Mustafi. So two upgrades immediately to the starting XI. Leno Iā€™m sure he feels the same about. Looks to me like heā€™s targeting the weaker areas of our squad. Adli is a guy on a free is he not?

Adli is not coming anymore. Dembele was a starting player to for Rennes and then immediately with Dortmund. What do you mean with ā€˜unearthing those gemsā€™ than? Iā€™m not sure Mustafi is out of the team if he isnā€™t sold. Lichtsteiner and Sokratis imo much more fill holes, since we have no back up right back and Koscielny is out until november, than that they are targeted as improvements/upgrades.

This is right.
Emery and Sven have identified the weak areas of the squad and sorted some of them out.
Wenger would still be dithering over where he was going on holiday.

1 Like

Haha, love this weird chatter

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/1007385113007714309

Destined to wear the shirt? Lol

1 Like

2 Likes

Always missing few small details :mustafi: