Bernd Leno

Well it had to be him or Patricio didnt it. Jordan Pickford might have been a better scenario their.:grinning:

Come up with a lot of saves for us this season. Decent shot stopper and quite brave on one on ones.
He has faults as we know but id give him all the starts now in the League and Europe. I see no point now in going with Cech.

10 Likes

Heā€™s winning me around. Great save from Fraser tonight

2 Likes

Heā€™s made a few important stops early in games against Southampton and Bournemouth so I must give him his dues for that. Southampton could have taken the lead before we scored and Bournemouth would have made it 1-1 if not for Leno.

1 Like

Heā€™s been looking a lot more solid of late. I donā€™t even think Iā€™ve noticed him flapping at as many crosses either.

Starting to win points for us. Keep it up Bernd!

He was a good buy for reasonable money but people were looking for him to fail even before he played.

We wonā€™t know the full extent of his ability until he plays with a more resolute defense infront of him.

15 Likes

Remember what de gea was like when he first was at United people were taking the piss outta him. Ireckon Leno is better than the fans give him credit for and just needs time to adjust

1 Like

Which is weird given that the standard of goalkeeping weā€™ve had here since Lehmann has been awful, so youā€™d think our expectations would be low.

1 Like

We have only ever been successful and won the PL when weā€™ve had a very good GK.
In the PL in recent seasons all our rivals have had them while we have had to put up with mediocrity because of Wengerā€™s indifference to that position.

Almost every top team in Europe has a top quality and reliable GK so the importance attached to that is probably made more obvious to our supporters because, since we have become less successful, it has coincided with having poor GKā€™s.

I thought Leno played really against Bournemouth and is clearly capable but itā€™s consistency and reliability that are most important as, unlike other players, they are often only remembered for their mistakes, and a consistently good GK can win you titles.

If he can keep this level up then he might be what we need.

He would look even better with a better defence.

3 Likes

Yeah because he wouldnā€™t have to make as many saves which means there is less chance of him fucking up :smile:

1 Like

Better defense means Leno doesnā€™t need to worry too much and cover the shit that defense left over.

1 Like

Cā€™mon! You have to admit he has improved recently.

Massive that his English are really good and seems close with our players. Ospina never really gelled with our defense. Very good keeper nevertheless.
Goalkeeper shouldnā€™t be our priority unless a no brainer comes up.

Is Leno WC?
Nope, absolutely not.
Will he become a WC?
I donā€™t know.

I only know, he is solid enough to be our starter. Solid enough.
He is not the reason why we canā€™t win shit.

3 Likes

Obviously heā€™s not elite level but something like a 6.5/10.

As others have pointed out, why spend money upgrading him when it could be put to better use replacing the 3/10s we have in defence. Thatā€™s where the real fuckery is, the core of the spastication

6 Likes

and who is the centre of the spastic core :mustafi: aawwwww caveman dont like been called names.

1 Like

Exactly, and the discussion should just end here.
Not a single reason to look for another keeper ATM.

1 Like

Leno is better than most give him credit for. Heā€™s been solid during the second half of the season after a naturally shaky start.

Heā€™s athletic, great shot stopper, quick off his line and good with his feet. Lately his ability to hold on to low hard shots has impressed me too.

For me itā€™s not an area that needs upgrading at all. In fact, you wonā€™t find much better keepers that are available, if any.

10 Likes