Bernd Leno

I love Leno. I’m just going full Luca right now.

1 Like

Registered you in Leno gang

First goal header was pretty much at him. Think a top keeper would’ve done better.

Then nut megged on the second. Think he’s going down the toilet.

Can see why he’s not a regular starter for his national team. Really regretting the sale of Martinez more than ever.

3 Likes

Leno isn’t bad but overall Emi is the better keeper.

2 Likes

Gutted we let him go. It was clear as fucking day it was his time as number one after that run he had. Then our cretins running the show went and sold him for 20 fucking million quid :grin:

3 Likes

Before that run we’d have been lucky to get £2m for him. So £20m for a second choice keeper with just a small run under his belt was actually pretty good. After the season he has had it’s easy to say he is worth more now, but at the time we weren’t going to get more than £20m. And anyway, had we kept him instead of Leno, I don’t see our season being any different.

6 Likes

Is that an admittance you may think Martinez is currently the marginally better keeper ?

Agree with the sentiment that I don’t think it’s a massive deal, nor do I think our season would be any different.

1 Like

I don’t know really. The Leno v Martinez stuff has always just been banter to me. I’m not actually fussed on either keeper. Though I do remember saying Leno was shit before we signed him :sweat_smile:

I still miss Woj.

1 Like

I’d much rather have kept Martinez but I don’t think the gap between them was significant enough to turn down £20m for a player who didn’t have a career of good performances behind him and could easily have just been playing a run of super form. And Martinez hasn’t been infallible too, he’s made mistakes in much the same way Leno has.

Keeping Martinez definitely doesn’t do much more for our season given our biggest issue is our attack.

I do think that Leno will need replacing in the next couple years, it’s just not a position of urgency atm because we’ve got about 6 bigger problems outfield first lol

4 Likes

Leno had some bad games that cost us points, but he also had some good games that earned us points as well.

If we need an actual upgrade on the keeper position, it will take 30+ millions I believe, to get a “better” one. Martinez was never a “better” option than Leno. Also there is no such keeper that is really a game changer, and consistently playing good for most of the season.

That kind of money, we need it more on our outfielders as you said.

2 Likes

Agree mostly although Allison over Karis had a huge benefit from the start for Liverpool.

I don’t remember how much Pool spent on Allison? about 50-60m?
If we do have that budget, I agree to make the upgrade.
Also, Leno was never on Karius level.

Yeah fair. Just generalisation tbh.

1 Like

We broke Leno.

In what respect?

He’s never been what I’d call commanding. But he is even more indecisive lately. Just seems like either he’s not good enough, not being coached in the system, or is being told to do dumb shit. Considering how many times he saved our ass last season, we know he is (or was) good enough.

2 Likes

This popped up in my suggestions. Didn’t strike me as such a FIFA junkie.

Lucky he didn’t concede off that pathetic effort tapping the shot onto the woodwork.

We were on a very good run with Martinez. Winning the cup and the community shield built up very good morale. This was against Chelsea and Liverpool.

Selling Martinez broke the team and gave the wrong signal to the players.

Whichever goalkeeper you think is the better of the two, you can’t say that selling Martinez is what broke this team. There are a thousand things that are bigger issues than the goalkeeping situation.

12 Likes