Bernd Leno

Got to give him his due today tbf.

7 Likes

I refuse to completely judge him until he plays with something other than the Eplā€™s most comical defense in front of him.

6 Likes

He made a lot of saves today, but most weā€™re ones Iā€™d expect a decent keeper to have made. I donā€™t remember thinking any were particularly outstanding.

Maybe Iā€™m just being harsh because I donā€™t really rate the guy, and its not a fair assessment of what he did today.

3 Likes

i feel it is a little harsh, he had some balls really belted at goal today shot stopping wise he was excellent but really needs to focus on crosses into the box and arial stuff.

Sometimes when a team is getting battered itā€™s a good opportunity for the netminder to stand out and look artificially good, if theyā€™re being forced into saves every 5 minutes and making most of them. I think thatā€™s what happened to Leno

2 Likes

I agree with the general sentiment that he doesnā€™t appear to be a bad 'keeper.

The only ā€œmistakeā€ that stands out is his coming out for a cross v Southampton which led to their winning goal (something that Seaman used to do a lot, incidentally)

Other than that, heā€™s fine. We donā€™t need to fix it if it ainā€™t broke

2 Likes

Yeah that was pretty much the point I was trying to make earlier.

For some players, they will never get the credit when it is due.
Leno is one of them

1 Like

The club are looking to make some money from the transfer market. How about selling Leno who hasnā€™t impressed and bringing David Ospina from his loan at Napoli.

Nice thread.

Besides it looks like Ancelotti is going to activate the clause to keep hin at Napoli

Yeah a problem but if we make it clear to Ospina we want him backā€¦who knows

Heā€™s undoubtedly average but we need to replace several other positions before we think about replacing Leno.

2 Likes

I will definitely not take Ospina back over Leno.

2 Likes

If you consider both goalies have to play with our crap defence then I think Ospina comes out quite well. Certainly no worse than Leno.

Ospina isnā€™t doing that well at Napoli, tbh. He isnā€™t even first choice.

Good reason to get him back. He did well for us imo and I would welcome him over Leno

I donā€™t know if it would make any difference, but doesnā€™t Ospina have a clause in his loan contract that if he plays a certain amount of games for Napoli they have to buy him? It looks like they are going to take up that option anyway, but I guess they didnā€™t want to play him too much incase they decided against it.

2 Likes

Leno isnā€™t that bad. I can think of more occasions in which Alyson has messed up this season than Leno.

4 Likes

That XG nonsense