Bernd Leno

People actually think there’s a goal keeper out there who doesn’t fluff his lines once in a while. Part of their game is showing the mental strength to cope with slight errors. Leno has that in folds.

1 Like

Yes he’s had a good amount of training in that department. He was a shaky keeper for Leverkusen too, so he’s always had it in him to come back from mistakes.

People said he would flop here off the back of his Leverkusen days, he came here and became one of the best and most consistent keepers in the league. Yet people are still trying to use that as a stick to beat him with because he had a lapse against some nothing team in the Europa.

Tiresome agenda. If we had Kepa or Pickford in goal I’d understand it but when the fans turn against some of our best players like Auba and Leno I find it really boring.

7 Likes

We’ve introduced a new potential mistake factor into the game with expecting keepers to play out from the back.
It is what it is. Always going too be the worse way to concede but it’s going too happen.

Starting to feel like pure shit just want my Emi back

9 Likes

Least I got the quote right though, in addition to getting there first.

5 Likes

I rate Leno and found he was extremely important last season for us. I can also agree that he’s looked somewhat shaky, or not up to his standard this season. Maybe he’ll grow into things once again as the season goes on? My main gripe with his goalkeeping is that he parries it toward a threat a bit too often recently. Apart from that, and aside from some duff touches last night, he’s more than competent for the role.

The annoying thing is the comparison to Martinez. We have to remember the intricacies behind some of these decisions, namely making a stand with Leno retaining his number one status.

This is pure speculation however, without the sale of Emi, would we have been able to do the Partey deal? No one can know of course, “but what if”?
The improvements we should likely see from having Partey could well balance out or improve us more than if we retained Emi.

1 Like

This thread is full of sad agenda driven people :weary:

2 Likes

Ideally, that Martinez thread should be buried into the echelons of time.

He’s not on loan at Villa. He’s not our player any more. Bye, Felicia.

1 Like

Absolutely. What fucks me off is that we decide to play out the back when we’re chasing a game, too.

How about plan B? Keeper hoofs the ball out, one of our midfielders actually try and win the first ball and we’ve covered more ground in 1/16th of the time we would have done with lethargic playing out of the back

2 Likes

Sorry bro I don’t agree. He’s made plenty of errors since he arrived (at one point the most leading to goals of any player since his arrival). He’s never looked assured he’s just had spells of great shot stopping form.

1 Like

Martinez wasn’t exactly infallible either though, I remember that game against Liverpool where he did the exact same thing as Leno last night except it didn’t result in a goal.

Also when it comes to Martinez I’m not sure he has the mental strength to overcome that mistake should it find it’s way into the net. I think Martinez benefitted from the no crowds massively.

I also think you’re a little harsh on Leno when he parries saves into dangerous areas, in a lot of those instances the angle dictates the deflection and a CB either has to stop the initial shot or help clean up after.

But hey we can’t agree on everything.

Yeah I think it should get mixed up. Can’t stomach the sideways ones from goal kicks. Unnecessary and would much rather the CB promote it forward if you don’t go long. Doesn’t always have to be clever.

2 Likes

Not sure if it was Arteta or whoever…
The way we are passing the ball on our end, is just setting us, especially Leno, for failure.

1 Like

Good thing you didn’t call them penises.

1 Like

What agenda could people have? Some of us just don’t think Leno is that good. There’s no agenda to it, it’s just an opinion and one that isn’t that ridiculous.

That stat is bollocks.

1 Like

He only cost twenty something millions, be more forgiving and generous.
We were not paying premium for a WC player.
In the end, he may not be convincing, but there are more issues we need to be concerned of. Right now, he is more than capable to be our #1.

It supports my view so I believe it no matter what

3 Likes