Benfica Vs Arsenal (UEL)

Fucking John Carew 75th min at the Mestalla.

When was the last time we advanced on away goals ? Must be before my time following :rage:.

3 Likes

@stroller @InvincibleDB10 @Ashgooner1 @JohnnyH @Kroenkeoutplease

Did we beat Spurs in the league cup semi final in 87 on away goals with a late equaliser/winner at WHL?

2 Likes

Should have been 2008 at Anfield @DavidHillier after Theo’s run for Adebayor’s goal.

Then Babel cons the ref, forget the 4th goal that only happens because we’re chasing the game.

5 Likes

Horrible defeat that

I slammed my fist on the floor.

4 Likes

Actually we should of been up 3-1 from the home leg and not have to worried about away goals but Hleb was denied one of the blatant penalties of all time and Bendtner decided to stop Fabregas shot right on the line!

2 Likes

If I recall correctly we beat them twice at Scumland in the semi.

Allinson and Rocky to the rescue in the second game - a replay after the early legs finished level on aggregate.

I remember the final against Liverpool well with Charlie Nicholas scoring one of our 2 goals. I was there for the final but not at Scum Hart Lane for the two semi victories

3 Likes

One of those Champions League ties were the completely better side over 180 minutes didn’t progress, the Kuyt foul on Hleb not being a penalty was a farce.

3 Likes

I mean, second legs were abolished in their entirety mid season last year

This is true, I suppose it was unprecedented circumstances though before leagues set up the testing protocols to deal with government guidelines to get going again.

1 Like

True, but the situation this year is also unprecedented. Last time there weren’t the same set of restrictions on which clubs could travel where. Especially in England, as is well established, we were willing to let anyone come and go.

1 Like

Still think it’s ridiculous that we are playing this over 2 legs with the away goals rule standing. Surely with all the fixtures that are being played on neutral sites, a one off would make more sense.

2 Likes

For me away goals rule seem pointless without the influence of fans. I know it’s the same circumstances for both sides but still.

1 Like

They are not in their best run of form. Drawed three times, lost once in the last five games. Not that our form is particulary good, but still.

2 Likes

Our form would look relatively respectable if the 10 man madness never happened at Wolves.

3 Likes

Biggest game of the season. Great time for Auba to find form, we will need him in top gear if we are to stand any chance of going deep into this competition

2 Likes

They actually seem to be in a bit of a crisis, only winning two of their last eight league games and now sitting in fourth.

For context, they have finished 1st or 2nd every year since 2009-2010. Since they moved to a 34 match league season six years ago, they have averaged only 7.5 total draws or losses per season (its the most farmery farmer’s league around). So to have six non-wins in an eight game stretch is pretty abysmal by their standards.

This club needs a European Trophy and if it is the Europa Cup then so be it .
For an elite club our record in Europe is nothing short of diabolical.
Arteta should go balls out to win the trophy ,
Play a high pressing , counter attacking football like we know we can do and get this trophy nailed .

7 Likes

There is no reason why we shouldn’t win it either. Except for maybe Milan every big team left in the competition fucking sucks.

5 Likes

The only team I’m really worried about being better than us is Leicester.

Otherwise, my main worry is Arteta deicidng to be stupid.

Milan also fucking suck if we’re being honest, and apply the Serie A tax.