Thursday 18 February 2021
Stadio Olimpico, Rome :it:
KO: 20:00 :clock8:
:tv: BT SPORT

• Arsenal win
  • Benfica win
  • Draw

0 voters

So, is the away goals rule actually going to count in this ridiculous bollocks?

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

2 Likes

6-0 Arsenal

5 Likes

Why wouldn’t it ? Both teams are hosting a match ? :thinking:

1 Like

The competition to define this season.

1 Like

Benfica 1-2 Arsenal

2 Likes

A lot of people have wondered this aswell aussie not as strange as you are making out seeing as we are playing both legs in random countries there is no home or away advantage

Still both teams have been allocated venues to host games.

I’m saying that I’d like to see the away goals rule abolished permanently.

Just don’t see why it would be removed mid season when both teams are hosting a match that’s all.

2 Likes

Because neither team is playing at home

2 Likes

Both been allocated hosting rights for games though irrespective of venue.

Has their actually been any talk from the governing bodies about away goals not counting ? Or just fans chit chat ?

1 Like

They are actually going to count all goals double as they will all be away goals.

4 Likes

:joy: that would be carnage

1 Like

How many times have we been fucked over by away goals ? Monaco 2015 ? Bayern 2013 ? Any others ? I think Wigan one time about 15 years ago in the league cup @DavidHillier?

2 Likes

This is the first knock out round though so it’s not really a change mid season as this would be the first time the rule could be applied anyway.

I do get your point about both teams technically “hosting” a match, but i still think it would be slightly ridiculous if a team went out on away goals given the circumstances!

The away goal rule is a nonsense at the best of times, especially the part about one team having an extra 30 minutes to score one!

3 Likes

Yes I do agree it’s a nonsense rule.

Maybe some karma will fall our way and we’ll progress on the away goals rule for once :grin:.

Has there actually been tall from the governing bodies it’ll be binned though ? That’s a serious question ?

2 Likes

I went to that one. Highbury. Last game I went to at Highbury, in fact. A birthday present.

Dave Whelan dancing around but thinking Jason Roberts goal meant penalties. Then he danced about some more. Bloody Wigan. What a birthday :pensive:. 2006

4 Likes

Away goals are a tiebreaker in the groups. Only as the 4th, so you don’t get to it as a tiebreaker, but it does apply.

2 Likes

Valencia 2001
Aston Villa LC semi 1996

Both away goal defeats @Aussiegooner

2 Likes

Never knew that. Thankfully the chances of it ever applying are basically zero