Basketball (NBA/ FIBA)

We are getting AD :bellend::giroud3:

I like the Kahwi leading Toronto to a first championship story line but beyond that my interest as causal is fading, thereā€™s a lack of star power imo. Itā€™s better/more watchable than last years finals though

Iā€™ll be honest Iā€™m an NBA causal/glory hunter, whatever team Le Bron is I latch onto and watch often. I like watching Bron so it makes sense

So now itā€™s the Lakers who iā€™m learning more about trades, free agency and roster, which is useful because theyā€™re discussed alot currently.

Hard for me to just pick one random team without any preexisting sentiment, I feel the NBA is not a great model as a league, there poor competitive balance and parity. Arguably too many teams etc

Majority of the regular season is pointless, it hard to get invest any other time than play offs, even then round one should really be 3 games, semis 5 games and the rest 7

Only route to success is hoping you land a generational talent in the draft then praying heā€™s joined by other stars in free agency down the line. Whatā€™s the point in following small market teams as a causal?

Take @Aussiegoonerā€™s Blazers example, You get to the WCF with Dame only to get swept. What comes next if youā€™re a Blazers fan? Too good for a top draft pick, in a tiny market to attract big free agents?Where do you go after that?

2 Likes

How did I know that somehow the Knicks would get fucked out of this :arteta:

1 Like

The only way a team like the Blazers win a championship is if we trade away 4 1st rd picks and a player for a likely one year rental like Kawhi or Davis etc, but small markets rarely take that risk as itā€™s more likely to set you back more than achieve the ultimate.

Weā€™ll just end up staying idle with what we have and make playoffs 2nd rd and 1st rd until Dame eventually declines.

1 Like

You had the #1 pick in 84 or 85 and drafted Sam Bouie insted of Jordan so thereā€™s that too :joy::joy:

1 Like

Hahahahaha yeah true, before my time but thatā€™s a point.

And drafted #1 Greg Oden instead of Kevin Durant.

1 Like

Yeah we got somewhat unlucky with Oden, he still wouldnā€™t have been Durant, but he did average 10/7 in his first season he got on the court with us coupled with great defensive stats. Obviously he wouldnā€™t have been as good as Durant but I think heā€™d have been a 18/12 4 block type best defensive C in the game if his body never let him down.

Itā€™s a shame for us we never got a chance with a healthy core trio of Roy/ LMA & Oden, I seriously think that would have been a legit contender.

Actually this system makes parity happen. Itā€™s thanks to the draft that the Milwaukee Bucks will be a contender in the next 5 to 8 years. Same for the Denver Nuggets. In an open market system I highly doubt a team from that City/State will be able to build something. Not to say Iā€™m that familiar with the actual city or state.

Whilst I think dynasties are a good thing for a League, commercially, at the same time when it has gone on for a few years, like itā€™s currently doing, people do get tired of it.

Is there anyone that support Sixers?

Yes, iirc @k1tsun3 is actually from Philadelphia?? She definitely supports the 76ers tho.

Yes, @Chapman Iā€™m a Sixers fan. I grew up about an hour from Philly.

Congrats Canada.

Klay went down and then it was game. Even if GSW somehow sneaked a win at Oracle, theyā€™d have been trounced at Jurassic Park without Klay. I wanted that game 7 but that hurdle was simply too high. Could be an ACL judging by the awkwardness of the landing.

Raptors made their shots after that. Fred VanVleet came up big at the end.

2 Likes

There ya go. Klay hurt his knee several times and it finally gave out, and then of course ppl behind the scenes for the GSW questioning why KD hadnā€™t returned and then he did his acl yikes. Steph didnā€™t look like himself either tbh, he looked worn out.

I have no clue whatā€™s gonna happen to their franchise now. My best guess is Klay signs back on and KD goes to Brooklyn with Kyrie Irving.

That was always the risk when acquiring KD. The top heaviness. One goes down and suddenly the strain on the other two increases. Literally.

Knicks have to go hard for KD. Guarantee those 4 years.

:giroud3: this doesnā€™t seem real yet

1 Like

Klay Thompson. What a guy. Walk down the tunnel injured, but came back to convert his free throws (2/2) as he wouldnā€™t be able to return to the game if he didnā€™t take them. Then tries to run back on defence in the next possession. Boogie fouls to take Klay out of the game because lol!

Klay goes down the tunnel. Starts running in the hallway and doing jumping jacks according to Doris Burke. Heā€™s telling Steve Kerr and his father that heā€™ll be fine and that heā€™ll be back in 2 minutes.

He had a fucking torn ACLā€¦WTF. Determined to the point of stupidity and I mean that in the nicest sense of the word. Klay is incredible. Also Adrenaline is one hell of a drug :syringe:

1 Like

Yeah wow. KD gone for the year, and now Klay gone for 9 or 10 months. Are the Warriors gonna offer both KD and Klay max contracts now? They are a repeat offender for the luxury tax so their payroll would be over 300m next year if they resigned both guysā€¦and then theyā€™d both miss an entire season. Guess this dynasty is over.

Moving to a new stadium as well :gabriel:

Theyā€™re done.

A sabbatical year is all ;ā€“)

Klay will get the max. KD has a player option but likely wonā€™t opt in according to Woj. Heā€™s leaving.

Interesting times ahead for the Warriors.