Bacary Sagna

2 Likes

Had some real quality years for us Bacary, much better than any RB we have at the moment.

3 Likes

Should of been captain at some stage.

1 Like

Had a shout of being the best RB in the league in some stages

1 Like

Not sure he’d be the same today. Really good reliable defender which I always value, and good work rate, but I feel like he wouldn’t be offensive enough for the 2020s coaches with his imperfect crossing and dribbling. I don’t think it’s a coincidence his (and Clichy’s?) best season was the last one we played a real 442.

One of my favourite players of that era for sure though.

5 Likes

Well, he was in the official team of the season a couple of times I think and surely THE best RB of the league between 2007 and 2012. More than a shout you could say.

1 Like

I always find it amusing how Debuchy was first choice over Sagna and Giroud was first choice over Lacazette in the French national team. :wenger2:

So good and very reliable our Sagna was. Always put in a 7/10 minimum. Saved our bacon a few times with goal line clearences. Athletic as fuck too. Best right back we’ve ever had IMO.

2 Likes

Now that’s a big shout

Yeah big shout, especially since we once had Carl Jenkinson on the books

4 Likes

Sagna would make for an excellent center defender though.
His offensive contribution was minimal but very few could beat him in defence

1 Like

Strong tackle, Bacary Sagna

4 Likes

I’m probably alone in this but I always found him hugely overrated and his crossing was whack.

3 Likes

No you’re not. He was a boring AF player and was hugely frustrating to watch especially in the attacking phase. He had this special ability to always hit the first man.

Also he gets a free pass on the manner of his departure. Was no different to Van Cunt and Clichy, but we at least made money off the other two.

2 Likes

Well his last game was an FA cup victory so you have to understand why that’s the case.

Sagna gave us 7 years of service and left at 31, with his decline becoming a little evident and left off the back of our first major trophy win in 9 years.

I think the circumstances were totally different he got a very generous 3 year offer from Manchester City - he’d have been crazy to turn that down at 31.

5 Likes

He was an excellent defender at a time when being an excellent defender was going out of fashion for full backs.

3 Likes

Yeah his crossing was pretty average, but he was a lot better defender than say Bellerin etc.

1 Like

I subscribe to this school of thought too. His attacking game was practically none existent. Frustrating but he was blessed to be part of a team that it didn’t matter because there was so much creative talent all over.

1 Like

Beyond insulting to even compare him to Bellerin in that department.

Also an infinitely better crosser than Bellerin.

1 Like