Atlètico Madrid vs Arsenal (UEL Semi Final 2nd Leg)

So us losing isn’t bad then when even Real and Barca struggle to beat them.

I have been saying all along, there is a gulf in class.

1 Like

What a sad sad morning. Wengers last chance of silverware has passed him , the club and the supporters by .
It is a sad morning,
It’s now proved that this club need a dramatic overhaul , a complete new broom to sweep right through.
I am sad , very sad for my club , our club and for Arsene himself.
Here’s to a new manager.
COYG

Well-done @AbouCuellar. At least you enjoyed a great atmosphere.

1 Like

We created opportunities but nobody took their chances; as we know against a heavly defensive team you need to make chances count, and the team just didn’t do that.

1 Like

We didn’t have even a sniff at scoring a goal last night. Mkhtaryan with a volley from outside the box. That’s it.

1 Like

That’s not a gulf in class. If you are a defensive unit you make yourself hard to beat regardless of who you are playing. You really are making athletico sound better than they are.

Hence creating opportunities and not making them count.

You don’t understand the meaning of class or opportunity.

I think that would be you my friend; but we are allowed to our opinions

Not really. If you make opportunities but cannot convert them that means you are lacking class. If you make very few oportunities but take 50% or more, that means you have class. If you can defend well, that means you have class. If you cannot defend - it means you don’t have class.

Back to opportunity - it’s a chance of something. We didn’t have a chance at goal last night, hence no opportunities. What you may be speaking about is that we kind of got close to their penalty area last night and that we had more of the ball, which is normal during 90 minutes of football, especially for an attacking side. However we didn’t create a single chance - our strikers didn’t miss sitters, their goalie didn’t perform heroics. We were quite simply outclassed, outsmarted, kept quiet, just doing our thing, passing the ball around taking it to our inept fullbacks who cannot deliver to save their lives.

Maybe reality is too hard for you to swallow.

2 Likes

Was pretty bummed at work today, I knew we had fucked it in the 1st leg but still you pray you can pull of a shock and get to a European Final.

2 Likes

You really don’t know Atletico if you actually think we outplayed them in both games.

I’ll give us the first leg because the chances we created were never part of their game plan. That was where the tie was truly lost - the failure to convert those chances - as well as our defensive calamity.

Second leg apart from Lacazette’s chance they had the game in what Atletico consider complete control. We never broke their shape and had no answers apart from a half chance here and there.

If you knew Atletico, you would know they put in a near perfect performance last night.

4 Likes

Honestly not disappointed. Can’t be disappointed if you expect it’s going to happen

We tried but fell well short on creativity and made our usual costly mistakes at the back. We didnt have the guile, craft or composure to make this happen. Basically we really did not have enough to be able to defeat a superior team.
Last nights game was 2 teams moulded in both coaches identity. People might think score proves there was not much in it. The reality is class and in game management on and off the field proved there was.

3 Likes

Hahaha, yeah nah I was working still when all this was going down, so I grabbed some on the way home.

1 Like

I’d feel a lot better if we actually treated this game as the most important of the season, but we didn’t. Oblak did not have anything to do which is disgusting. Just because Atletico can defend doesn’t mean you can’t test the keeper.

How can you have one shot on target and say you did your best? Absolute horse shit. We had a good few opportunities to pull the trigger but our brainwashed players opted to keep the ball instead. Keep the ball for what? To break down a stubborn defence? Leave off.

Shoot on sight should have been the policy after HT, but there is no way Wenger was having that. I promise you at HT he told his players to be patient and a goal will come. Newsflash Arsene, you have to shoot to fucking score. Oblak’s goal should have been bombarded, but instead we continued to play NOTHING FOOTBALL. Our kids vs United put up a better display.

Glad this man is leaving, his game is boring and tiresome to watch. Can’t motivate his players for big games and is always tactically outclassed.

Hate the fact it’s against his policy to revert to old fashioned get in the box and play percentage football. Of course this style of play is no good for 90mins, but when youre up against a defence like that you need to keep bombarding the box, they cannot clear every single ball, one chance should fall.

We missed Giroud massively or a different approach. Even in the dying minutes we refused to go long or even put a CB up front. What was there to fucking lose?

I’d have much more respect for us if we pushed for a goal and conceded a second, than what we witnessed last night. No excuse.

13 Likes

Yeah, Atleti controlled last nights game completely, they were always a much bigger threat to score than we were, we were lucky not to lose by more. Anyone who is saying they didn’t clearly outplay us last night is talking shit unfortunately.

3 Likes

Just another “meh” game this. Not the slightest surprised or disappointed really because I’m becoming used to it :wink:
MOM must be German Burgos, what a character!

If that’s your you look at class; that means there aren’t any truly top class teams. Last night we saw a defensive team that capitalised on an attacking team which always happens. And we did have chances whether it was taken or not doesn’t change that fact, and for the most part athletico were do last ditch defending throughout the tie, they had an element of luck and discipline when it counted.

You act we witness an ultra top team that were so much better than us that we can’t hope to match them which wasn’t the case.

Tell me how would they have scored without individual errors on us?