Aston Villa

At least they might sign the Juve castoff they’re targeting.

Chopped Smith in a proactive move, made a lot of money on Grealish which looks like very good business rn.

They appear to be a well run club.

1 Like

Such a nothing player.

They got relegated a few years ago, came up, and should have been relegated again.

I don’t think they’re particularly well run, they just have a billionaire owner who started spending a lot of money recently.

Well they managed to hold onto Grealish for an extra couple of seasons and cashed in for top dollar.
Made what seems a positive appointment in Gerrard and brought some upgrade players in. See how it pans out in may.

2 Likes

Good moves for sure. But they also have the highest or second highest (its close with United) net spend in the PL over the last three years. This isn’t Brighton punching above their weight at low cost, or Leicester figuring out how to game the transfer market. They came up and then bought £300m in players over the next few years.

And it’s pretty much going too secure them long term stability and keep them a PL club.
They took a fair few years out and now have an established base.
You can and already looks likely that they can grow a model from here.
One of the key gains of pointing Gerrard is the fact players know him as a footballer and will like the idea of playing for him.
There’s not much to fault imo. This is the richest League in the world and a club in England’s second city should be in it.
That’s happened now and the scare of that first season fight with relegation passed and they should be on sound footing from here in.

2 Likes

Thanks to Arsenal.

Rangers have gone to shit since Gerrard left. They have absolutely collapsed. I didn’t realise how big a factor he was in their dominance.

Just shows how good a manager he is. He’ll do great at Villa I think

4 Likes

Jack’s fall is just so sad. Irrelevant for City, and after being hated by Villa fans for leaving now he is now long forgotten. :rofl:

LOL Villa do have a sense of humour, I’ll give em that.

1 Like

I’m sure Grealish is enjoying his paycheck.

I did see people comparing them to Iniesta, Xavi and Messi the other day.
Bit mad but Villa fans aren’t used to their team doing well so I guess it’s expected…

Still can’t believe we kept them up in 2020.

1 Like

As well as his medals.:grinning:

I think they did well to cash in on Grealish when they did and getting Gerrard was a great move.

He did a brilliant job at Rangers and I think he’ll be a top manager.

He will certainly be at the top of the Liverpool board’s list as a replacement for Klopp when he goes.

I always think this is too simplistic an argument.

Winning stuff will most likely be more important than the money - he’d have enough money even if stayed at Villa.

But even with the medals, he may come to realise he was happier at Villa. Wouldn’t you feel better if you were somewhere where you thought you made a difference?

4 Likes

A great example of this is Cesc. Went there, enjoyed all the success that came Barca’s way, played with some of the best ever on a weekly basis but ultimately he was deemed a failure and both parties wanted to split after 3 years.

I reckon Jack won’t last at City for long…

1 Like

I still think that Grealiish is going to be a top player for Man City.
It’s his first season there and he’s done ok, if not outstanding.

Playing in the best team in the PL, under the most successful manager in Europe, alongside elite midfielders, is a lot different than being the best player in the team, like he was at Aston Villa.

Guardiola obviously rates him so will give him plenty of games to adjust to their level and he’ll eventually come good.

4 Likes

Well of course it is different. He has gone from big fish in little pond to little fish in big pond.

Even if he gets more minutes, he’s not good enough to be a superstar IMO. I think he’ll become a Hleb and do several interviews about how he regrets leaving Villa, where he was idolised.

2 Likes

Bit scandalous from Villa to be so close to relegation zone. Will be interesting to see if they stick with Gerrard.
They probably will but I’m not sure being one of Europe’s biggest spenders in recent years and lingering above the relegation zone is what they had in mind.

4 Likes

He wasn’t that impressive for Rangers tbh. Yes he won the league but that’s only because the only competition they have for it completely imploded.

As I said in a previous post if you manage one of the Glasgow giants and only win 1 trophy in 3 seasons that is underwhelming.

He should be doing better with the players he has

2 Likes