Arsène Wenger

1 Like

But has he spoken about all the great offers he received whilst being Arsenal manager? I think we were promised that. And about how great the financial restrictions were.

Cant be bothered to buy the book to find out for myself tbh :eyes:.

I’m only two chapters in but he’s mentioned how he turned down Real Madrid (his boyhood club) two times during his stay at Arsenal.

4 Likes

Did he say when? I’m genuinely curious about that.

He did not.

1 Like

He was never going to go to real Madrid.
At Arsenal he controlled virtually every aspect of the running of the club, including transfers, and was under very little pressure.

At real Madrid he would have to work under immense pressure from the owner, the supporters and the players, he would not have had as much of a say in transfers, and his complacency and lack of urgency would have not been tolerated by such an ambitious club.

He had the easiest ride of any PL manager and he knew no other club would give him the freedom and power he had with us.

3 Likes

You realise this goes against the opinion you hold of Mourinho as a manager. His personality you may not like but his qualities as a coach you do.
Agree with your post though mainly.

1 Like

I think it’s horseshit to say Wenger wanted an easy ride. I don’t believe he’d have worked any more or any harder at Real than he did here. It was always clear to me his heart and soul was in the job here and however misguided or just plain wrong he may have been what he did he done because he thought it was the right thing.

Going to Real no doubt would have changed him as a manager too. You’re talking when he was maybe 6/8/10 years in at Arsenal and at the peak of his powers.

3 Likes

I don’t consider these a slight against Wenger. It’s debatable whether that structure/environment was even working for Madrid, they went through a whole host of managers during the Galacticos. If anything properly supporting the manager (Zidane) things have been a lot better for them.

I’d say Wenger was wise not joining Madrid then, because if for anything other than Madrid doesn’t show much loyalty to their managers, although that seems to be changing recently.

I dispute he had a easy ride. The club had their targets and it was top 4 whether we liked it or not (many of us didn’t), as soon as he dropped out of the top 4 then failed to get back in he was gone.

1 Like

I think he did himself and eventually the club a disservice. I feel that had he gone to Madrid he would of definitely gone on to win at least one CL trophy and would of had a few more titles in his cabinet. It’s sad because Wenger could of been one of the greatest managers of all time, in 20/30 years more people will remember Mourinho than they will him and he will be regarded as the better manager.

Change is good and when the time comes you have to move on, Klopp would of been the same had he stayed at Dortmund.

3 Likes

I didn’t say he wanted an easy ride but he had an easy ride because there was very little pressure on him as long as he got CL football every season.

There is no other manager in European football that has had so much control at one club for so long and I think that’s why Wenger stayed here so long.

At Real Madrid, the managers don’t even have that much control over the transfers, let alone the running of the club.

It’s true and it was his stubbornness and complacency that got him sacked.
But it was clear foe several seasons what was happening and no other manager in Europe would have been given so long when it was obvious that the team was going in the wrong direction.

When he first came here, I rated him as the best manager in Europe, simply because I don’t think anyone else could have achieved so much with a club like ours and the state it was in.

I don’t blame him as much as I blame the board because they stood by while his last few seasons here saw us fall to a level a lot of us have never seen.
There was a culture of complacency and lack of urgency with Wenger and it’s going to take a lot of time and investment to get us back to even challenging for a top four place, let alone the title.

2 Likes

I’m just at the chapter where he has gone to Japan. The way he talks about the game is just wonderful.

I love Arsenal and I love Rovers but I don’t love football the way Wenger does.

3 Likes

I’m saving reading a few chapters for my Friday night entertainment every week. Absolutely wild I know but I’m really enjoying it.

Think I’m starting chapter 4 this week.

1 Like

He might have less pressure at Arsenal, but the resources were not as much as other “big clubs” so the objective would be lower.
He might have more pressure if coaching Madrid, but he would have more resources and a higher chances to win.
Arsenal had the invincible team, but there was no way Arsenal could assemble a team that had Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, Beckham, Raul… no way.
Real and Arsenal were on different level of playing fields (and still is).
I do believe if Wenger had coached Real, winning a CL or two was very likely.

1 Like

Happy 71st birthday Arsene

10 Likes

Happy Birthday Arsène hope you have a great day mate

1 Like

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Reading has been my Friday night entertainment since even before lockdown :laughing:

1 Like

They better put 71 fucking candles on his birthday cake. Arsène will blow those bitches out in one huff - I know he still has sensational lung capacity. Top man and top respiratory system. Triffic

7 Likes

Nerd.

You say that like it’s a bad thing :nerd_face:

2 Likes