Arsène Wenger

We invested enough to not have to wait 9 years for a trophy.

1 Like

Except we didn’t, we sold our best players and put in little investment

Also people look back as the better achievement being the CL finalist and the 07/08 title challenge rather than they do over ‘the trophies’

1 Like

That’s a sweeping generalisation that’s not true imo.

1 Like
1 Like

Definitely. It’s why we were so crap against the likes of Stoke and Bolton over the years

2 Likes

Watching football in Spain last week on BEIN sport he kept appearing on the screen during matches smiling, really upset my viewing.

1 Like

This is true.

I haven’t heard a single player who’s left Arsenal under Arsene say a bad word about him, even if they left in acrimony

2 Likes

We, or he?

Every top player that left us, because of Wenger’s failure to get better players and to persist with dross, went on to win trophies in the following season.

There might have been some players that played their best football under Wenger but not all of them.
There were plenty he persevered with that were no where near good enough for a top four side that he continued to pick.

3 Likes

I’d argue he allowed some players here not get to the best of their potential.
Theo, Ramsey and Ox where allowed to develop to many bad habits to their games. He’d of ironed that out in the first decade.

2 Likes

The Bolton aspect is a touch overplayed by Arsenal fans and is based on a two year period covering 05 & 06.

4 Likes

Winning trophies or not nearly all of them played their best football under Wenger. I’m not sure anyone played better, few played to the same level. Look how many left for big money and flopped or underperformed

1 Like

I think the Bolton thing was more to do with Allardyce saying, after they’d beaten us, that Arsenal don’t like being roughed up and it was after that comment that several other managers started trying the same tactic, including Ferguson.

But all the neanderthal managers like Allardyce, Pulis, Hughes etc, started playing a lot more physically against us, and the referees did very little to stop it.

2 Likes

But the best players in our team are stood out because there were so few of them.
Players like Cesc, RVP, Song, etc, might have been big fish in the Emirates pond but as soon as they’re surrounded by similar or better players, like at Barcelona, they don’t stand out so much.

I’m sure the League titles and European trophies they won, as well as playing alongside Europe’s elite, more than made up for not playing under Wenger.

1 Like

Lellelellellel :joy::joy::joy::joy: okay which one of you Wenger haters made this tweet??

2 Likes

He can barely outdo Bruce Rioch atm :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Stewart Houston in the conversation right now.

1 Like

That’s not an unpopular opinion, that’s just fucking retarded.

6 Likes

As if Emery’s even going to win us an FA Cup or a Caribo Cup for that matter or whatever it’s called these days

Wenger never won a League cup tbf.

1 Like

Getting into the CL would be a good start tbh