Arsène Wenger

They lost a great player but reinvested essentially the same amount of money on two players who have made them a stronger side as a whole.

If we could sell one of our best players (not naming anyone in particular :slight_smile:) for such a massive sum and get two in that put us within touching distance of a title, surely that’s an opportunity that only a club run by fools would pass up.

Of course but that isn’t the point from an accounting perspective.

If I sell an underperforming factory and buy a better factory, no financial person in their right mind would say the only thing that matters in that is the spending…

Also it just highlights how inept we have been in the market compared to Pool and Spurs.

1 Like

%100. We have basically held on to Ramsey for an extra season in which he’s started less than 10 matches (although I think he’s been quietly effective), and we could’ve gotten 50m for him last summer. Same with Sanchez; just 5 or 6 months before he left we could’ve had an extra 60m in the bank instead of just getting Mhikitayran and giving him a big wage packet.

It’s absolutely astonishing how poorly we’ve managed our assets, and it isn’t all Wenger’s fault because it’s continued after he departed, although he certainly was piss poor at it himself for ages.

4 Likes

This isn’t accurate

Those figures were touted in the 2016 summer I think after the Euros if my memory serves me correctly.

I was just being hypocritical :joy:

He is a cult with some people this bloke. Honestly the sycophant hero worship heaped on the man is fucking nausea at times.
Tell a lie long enough seems you can convince yourself of anything.

Don’t act like you didn’t help start this. :arteta:

2 Likes

I’m citing a ballpark figure to make the point. Wouldn’t you agree that we probably could have at least gotten 40m for him, let’s say?

The main point is that we pissed away a huge sum for him.

Last summer, as in the summer of 2018, his intention to run down was solidified. He was always going to test the club.

I think his market as free agent was hot but the truth is no one was going to spend £40m+ on Ramsey. Arsenal were never externally tested for a deal throughout his time here

1 Like

You may be right, but I do think that there would be clubs out there who would have given us a decent fee for a player of his quality.

Even if the Ramsey example isn’t the best, the general trend we’ve had of not selling players and getting value for our assets has been very poor over an extended period of time and it’s cost us.

3 Likes

I agree. Sanllehi is ruthless I hear, so there’s hope we don’t get mugged off in the future

1 Like

That would be a welcome change. I am heavily judging Raul though given that he’s very likely the primary reason we lost Sven; he was to whip his cock out and prove himself.

3 Likes

It’s true that he wasn’t going to sign, because Ramsey and his agent were greedy and have fleeced us, but not only haven’t we received a fee for him, we have paid his wages for the last two seasons and he hardly ever starts a game.

Like as @Great-White-Gooner said, we are a shambles in transfer and contract negotiation deals.

Apart from maybe Lacazette and Aubameyang, we have hardly got any players we could sell for much more than 30m.

Wenger has accumulated one of the worst squads of any top club, and has left us with the worst defence and midfield I can remember us having, yet a lot of our players are being paid world class players wages.
What other top side in Europe could boast that?

3 Likes

I think it’s called
What the Fucks going on at The Arsenal

1 Like

Just to put this in perspective, somehow through really clever arbitrage, Spurs have sold an average of almost 70 million on players per year in the last 8… in comparison, we have sold an average of 43 million. The total difference is almost 200 million.

1 Like

We’ve spent more than Tottenham. Meanwhile we also beat them at everything they participated in for over a decade and a half straight, they’ve been hot stuff for 2 seasons.

Liverpool have outspent us by a small margin (about £50m in the past 10 yrs, £150m in the past 16). During his time here Wenger won 3PL and 6FA and they had a CL win and we beat them in the league like 15 out of 20 seasons or w/e. Hardly that bad just because they hit it off for once with Mo Salah and Klopp.

The rest, as in Chelsea, United and City outspent us by £200-600m over the past 10 years and even more that for all of them if you go back to around 03/04 when Chelsea spent most of their money. Their economic management have been utter fucking shambles but the trophies will be in the history books so, can’t argue with that.

If you start out in 13/14 with a squad that cost an apple to assemble and every single player you had that won the league a decade ago have left, you can’t just demand he immediately spend his £100m over two seasons or he “left the club in ruins” or words to that effect.

Wenger probably ultimately picked the players but some of you pretend like he wasn’t told to pick them from the discount shelf for nearly a decade and that it has no impact five minutes after he got to spend some dosh again. In his last season here he dumped Ox, Walcott, Coquelin, Chestnut, Gabriel, Gibbs, Sanogo & Debuchy + a few kids, they used to be half our squad just 18 months ago ffs :sweat_smile: and got Auba and Laca instead. I can understand that you want to try something else but it is unfathomable how you can be that mad at him and talk as if he left us in shambles or similar.

1 Like

Even 8 years with Spurs - we spent more than them by 134 million, and by over 300 net.

yeah ok maybe “a few” was not the best wording, I just hand-waved it, we were pretty close (in spending) going back another 10 years and then I looked another 5 years forward and we were outspending them again, but yeah you’re right. edit: yeah looking into it you have to go quite far back, scratch that point. Still a point we beat them at everything all those years though :sweat_smile: but I’ll edit the above post, I should’ve done the actual numbers on them as I did on the others, I just remember I did some other time and for Wenger’s entire stay he was outspent by them etc. :+1:

Wages we also crush them btw - in terms of total overall annual outlay, there is a massive gulf between us and Spurs, which makes their current situation all the more tragic.

1 Like