Arsène Wenger

Exactly. We will always respect him, but he was outdated. His tactical ideas couldn’t deal with the modern football.

100% agree. Club did right thing too late.

1 Like

You’re honestly a fucking moron if you would prefer the club to fail just so people get what you have determined “they deserve” rather than just 100% wanting us to achieve because it’s ultimately the best feeling you can have from following a football team.

You didn’t even properly enjoy the FA cup wins cos you were too busy told ya soing to those who said Wenger would never win another trophy.

4 Likes

It’d almost be silly of me to respond to you at this point.

2 Likes

Yup, and also said what you say, that Wenger should probably rather be praised for staying here with no monnies to spend for so long. What manager of any stature would want to come work at our club under that expectation-condition relation? To take over after arguably the best manager in the history of the club, just had 3 PL wins, an unbeaten campaign, recently took the club to a first ever CL finals etc. but you get no money to spend and the fans are apparently going to think it is all because you don’t want to :arteta:

I think Wenger did it out of love for the club and I’m sure the board loved Wenger long time right back for getting them CL almost literally for free year in and out with Chelsea and City buying into the competition with monster squads on top of Man Utd with Fergie and whatever teams were the flavour of the season.

But yeah I tried for a bit of a stoic mindset with respect to ‘my’ ambitions with the club years ago, try to just stay calm and support whatever’s out there on the pitch, but one thing that turned out to tick me off anyway was when people would abuse him especially for the economic/omnipotent arguments which are just not true :smiley: so not always entirely that calm lol edit: but yeah, disagree we should be punished for the AFTV type clowns though lol

3 Likes

You are an intelligent poster and I’m actually flabbergasted at your simple minded stance on the subject. The bar was set high because Wenger set it himself. Arsenal supporters expect to be a title challenging side and permanent fixture in the CL because of Wenger. We’ve spent less money than Tottenham and barely ahead of Everton, yet that’s the bar. It’s like Usain Bolt having both his legs chopped off and fans still expecting him to run a sub 10 second 100m dash :joy::joy:

1 Like

I don’t agree with the initial tweet but this is undoubtedly true.

Nasty event in our club’s history. Nobody can tell me any of the guys in this vid deserve anything other than footballing misery for the treatment of Wenger in this moment

2 Likes

Lmao! It must be fun to constantly invent your own reality to justify your bullshit.

1 Like

Violets are bloody PURPLE!!!

1 Like

It’s because he stuck it out for so long, and persistently dragged us down even further every season, that means we are in the worst situation of any of our rivals.

The supporters wanted Wenger out because they were getting fed up with the stagnation, the complacency, watching spurs overtake us and not playing in the CL.

Saying they got what they deserved and that Wenger is a hero, is avoiding the fact that it’s these same supporters that paid his 8m a season wages.

Our spending is on the same level as spurs and they are streets ahead of us, and Wenger had a massive advantage over Pochettino because he was Europe’s longest serving manager at the same club in a top league, yet they are a club going in the right direction while we were going the other way.

1 Like

Read em and weep big boy (2008 - 2018)

Look at our expenditures, we hardly spend any money, last place amongst all those teams in the money we actually spend on players. Lolpool are last in net spend thanks to Barca being mongs and paying 140m for Coutinho, but they took that money and reinvested in their team. We don’t do that no matter who we sell.

Edit: this one for good measure. This is total expenditure since 1992 and the start of the PL era.

Would guess those are just January window spendings though.

You are right but I added the one I was searching for that shows the entire spend of PL clubs since 1992 - 93, it’s a trend.

Don’t forget 2003 as well. Total bottle job

1 Like

The last 5 years when we’ve slowly been overtaken by Spurs we’ve completely outspent them, it isn’t even close.

There’s no excuse for having fallen behind them in Wenger’s declining years, other than the fact that they had a better manager. You’ll find that part hard to admit I suspect.

Yeah I already posted net spend from last 5 years - can go back longer if you want, but we destroy Spurs in net spend… I mean it is silly…

2 Likes

And our wages dwarf theirs to boot.

Net spend isn’t anywhere near as important as total expenditures tho. Expenditures shows that you are investing a lot of money in your squad. Net spend doesn’t mean much tbh.

1 Like

Disagree completely - if you are talking about actual investment that means money going out, it is the only valid measure - it punishes teams that do a poor job selling their players and rewards those that do a good job, but it is the only way to assess how truly aggressive ownership is in investment…

It isn’t sustainable to sell players for insane amounts unless you are phenomenal at it or just insanely lucky - we have absolutely tragically sucked at it and it is one reason we are in the mess we are in… even our squad today - what is ACTUAL market value of the players in transfer market compared to say Liverpool?