Arsène Wenger

We always had shit players or would end up with one when key players would get injured.

So many times we have dwelled into team sheets of past and laughed at the sight of likes of Denilson, Diaby, Song, Flamini, Hoyte, Bendtner, Chamakh etc being in the lineup.

We can’t complain about club not buying better players and then change it to ‘we never always had poor players’.
We complained about not having good defenders, goal keepers, strikers, defensive midfielders.
We can’t have it both ways

We had an inferior bunch through Emirates Era.
We either stayed where the team was supposed to be or punched above clubs with similar talents.

Wenger didn’t get enough out of the players and therefore team at his disposal over the years, that’s a fact.

Blaming the players is funny, he’s the manager and tasked with extracting everything out of them and improving them whilst also setting the tone mentally.

Which players might I ask?

You can’t improve shit players

Oh sure all our players were shit, it’s a travesty Wenger was coaching them.

No point debating this with you, you’re not being impartial at all.

Good coaching wouldn’t have lead to a Premier League title but it might have lead to less goals conceded, less games lost etc.

1 Like

Or you could point at some players who underperformed here and went on & became world class elsewhere.

Cesc, Persie, Nasri, Adebayor, Sanchez, have all had their best playing career under Wenger.

I don’t know which player/players you are referring that Wenger couldn’t get the best out of.

You need to give me something to convince me that these bunch of players would have done better under different circumstances. I would say they would have done worse.

And what would be the point?

Based on this very forum, Zidane is not a great tactician and rode his luck.
Zidane won 3 CL solely based on having players who could pull out individual genius.

That’s because we were chasing the game and down to 10 men though, if we were playing to do damage limitation we could have conceeded less but the end result is the same, zero points. We scored twice and hit the post.

We also had an injury crisis and had lost Farbegas, Nasri, Clichy, Ebou before that one and our best signings were Ox and Gervinho at that point. Ramsey was the Fabregas replacement. We started that game with Jenkinson, Traore, Djeuru and Coq was a kid at that stage. Arshavin had got really out of shape by this stage. The club was in a meltdown and on a shit streak.

1 Like

And Chelsea lost 6-0 not 5-0 as most people here mentioned.

Wenger thread is :fire: just like old times

2 Likes

No that is based on your own logic actually. You say tactics don’t matter. So, Zidane had the best players compared to many teams he faced. Therefore, he won the CL 3 times.

Pure your logic and no one else’s. According to you tactics don’t matter.

Which is utter nonsense, but you like to argue for the sake of arguing especially when it comes down to your pal Wenger.

Tactics matter, especially when you are the weaker team.

Ajax last night deployed tactics of overwhelming, pressuring and playing with high energy against a superior Real Madrid - looked at individual skill per player.

Ajax lost, because they couldn’t convert the many chances they created into actual goals, which is due to personnel then. Real had a few opportunities and did score. So, it is down to individual quality on that note. But, the fact Ajax didn’t get trounced and looked like capable of beating Real Madrid is down to tactics whether you like it or not.

In old times, Arsenal would get overrun, couldn’t put a dent in a box of butter and roll over to the Bayerns and Barcas. That was down to tactics, not to just to personnel.

1 Like

Oh I definitely don’t dispute that. I’m talking in the sense that he was so inept that he kept trying the same thing over and over and over again. Yet he’s obviously intelligent enough to have been able to spot how United were losing the game to PSG - yet he never seemed intelligent enough to be able to understand a 2 man midfield with little pressing or ball winning and ball retention qualities was never going to be successful in Europe.

2 Likes

That is based on posters in this very forum.

Posters like you, who claim tactics don’t matter. Zidane had the best personnel, alas he won.

That is what you have been arguing about all the time in defence of your pal Wenger.

Well yeah
What’s your point?

That you are quite clearly wrong. :xhaka2:

How?

Hearing that midfield talk, I still wish before he bowed out Wenger gave 4-4-2 one last chance to try revive the magic, that is still easily his most successful formation in terms of style, results and substance. It was done to mainly improve our performances in Europe, but we couldn’t do shit in Europe once the Fabregas/RVP/Nasri era ended, we may of underappreciated how talented those guys was despite some dross we had back then.

I still can’t believe how we didn’t win the title in 07/08, that 5 winless streak absolutely killed us, 3 of them against shite teams, just 2 damn wins and the title was ours man.

2 Likes