Arsène Wenger

@BigWeng_4LYFE wants to #beinwenger

11 Likes

I see what you did there :poldi: :giroud:

:eggplant::eggplant::eggplant::sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops::peach::peach::peach:

2 Likes

Noob

Never ask a WOB to do an AKB’s job.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Wenger the beIN pundit in 2019 - “In the Champions League it’s a common theme that you cannot be dominated in midfield.”

Wenger the Arsenal manager in every champions league game against top opposition - “Hold my beer.”

14 Likes

Shame all that knowledge and expertise didn’t translate onto the pitch for the last 8 years he was at Arsenal.

4 Likes

It’s strange listening to Wenger break games down tactically and so intelligently. It makes it even harder to understand how he became so inept in his latter years.

7 Likes

It’s because his team was shit, lol I don’t understand why nobody can wrap their head around this. It’s plain as fucking day our guys aren’t the at the level required, nor are they intelligent football players whatsoever. He did what he could.

2 Likes

Apart from buying better players and not giving over-paid contracts to the average ones?

10 Likes

He couldn’t buy better players. Remember we had to give all the office staff their wages. You don’t want people let go just because you wanted some fancy 50M player surely?

1 Like

He was responsible for constructing the team that Emery inherited and I’ll tell you what - it’s a fucking shit one.

7 Likes

His analysis is spot on.

One wonders how we could have gotten trounced in the Champions League time after time again when Arsene was managing Arsenal. :wenger2:

1 Like

Because he felt the need to be loyal to under-performers hoping they would one day change.

His downfall wasn’t necessarily his tactical nouse, it was his inability to be ruthless and cut dead players which ultimately crippled us.

6 Likes

His tactical nous was seriously lacking too, he couldn’t coach a defence to save his life.

Tactically he was being shown up on the regular for years.

2 Likes

This is true, but he was also incredibly stubborn and arrogant.
He would play his way and not adapt at all to the opposition and was poor in his transfer dealings.

It’s a lot easier as a pundit to analyse a game after it’s been played.
The skill of a top manager is to prepare properly and make the right adjustments during a game.
Something which Wenger wasn’t so good at in his last few seasons here.

2 Likes

Losing 10-2 on aggregate against Bayern Munich has gotten more to do with shit tactics and strategy than the players at his disposal. Even B-rated CL contenders wouldn’t allow such a humiliation.

And it was this way, season after season in the CL.

And the humiliation against United. Let’s not forget. If he had tactical nous, he wouldn’t have allowed that to happen.

6 Likes

See, I genuinely think he knew the issues with the team but just chose to stick with his players.

He showed he can be tactical when he wanted to (the Man City Cazorla show) but he was just too stubborn and believed his way was the best way, and that teams would have to find a way to beat our god-like style of play.

The thing about Wenger is he was trying to be like Barcelona, they only play one way too, but without the personnel.

8 Likes

The reason it wasn’t more against Utd is old red nose SAF took pity on Wenger and told his lot to reign it in !!

1 Like

Being able to sit in a studio and point out where things went wrong or right and make insightful comments is a totally different thing to actually being able set a football team up to compete and succeed at the highest level.

I honestly don’t know why people seem to be bemused at the fact that Wenger is great at the former but was unable to do the latter.

3 Likes