Arsène Wenger

I’m not sure I’d call anything he’s done since the CL final in 2006 as overachieving. We haven’t had a proper league challenge and we’ve picked up a few domestic cups (as have Wigan and Portsmouth) along the way. Maybe I’m being harsh.

2 Likes

It would be ironical if we were to qualify for the CL by winning the Europa League given how Wenger, as recent as last month, expressed his displeasure at the EL winner automatically qualifying for CL. Or maybe he just said that because it was Mourinho’s team that won the EL.

Whatever the reason, my point is, if the level of our ambition is to just have a good Cup run, we will never compete in the league. Besides, even if you make it to the CL, what the hell have we done in it since 2006, for us to want it so bad. CL has been nothing but a series of embarrassments for us. Really can’t understand why Arsene loves to be made to look like a fool each season, especially when he claims every defeat hurts him. He is one fucking masochistic frenchman.

3 Likes

This meme was made 6 years ago

Still relevant

4 Likes

I wish he’d just declare. Every year we’re told that we’re aiming to win/ compete on all fronts and each year it gets harder and harder to believe. I can’t take the bullshit any more. I know it won’t/ can’t happen, but just come clean. Tell us that we’re working within constraints; that we can’t compete with the big boys. I won’t like it, but arsenal will always be my team so I’ll deal with it. I’m sick of being angry about being lied to by my club.

15 Likes

Not that we can afford big players like Neymar or CR7, but fuck me, we have more money in the bank than many big clubs and we keep them there. So annoying!

Is that buying 60m worth of players or selling?

Great post.
Rather than telling us we can and will compete in the transfer market, tell us the truth.
If he came out and said: we aren’t going to buy the best players, or even the players that we are desperate for but we will do the bare minimum.
It might mean the only decent players we have, will leave because of our lack of ambition, but it would at least lower my already low expectations.
I just wish Wenger and Gazidis would stop lying to the supporters about what we say we’re going to do, and what we actually do.

It’s not just the lack of buying quality that is annoying.
Maybe keeping the few top players we have would be less frustrating.

1 Like

2 more years of this thread! :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

If we are lucky 2 more years, could be longer yet.

1 Like

:open_mouth::sob:

5 Likes

If we have a weaker squad than teams that have been winning it and we finished behind them it’s not overachieving, is it?

2 Likes

We’ve been doing exactly as expected for quite some time now. It’s once we add more quality to the team which really shouldn’t be impossible when we start overachieving and maybe even challenge for once.

When we beat them head to head in a knockout competition it is.

No. It isn’t.

At the end of the day managers are judged by what they do in the League. Not in the secondary cup competition. That goes for every manager, not just Wenger.

Managers are judged by a number of metrics. Don’t dumb it down to suit you.

Yeah so we’ve held court in the league done what we’ve been expected to do, finishing above all the other big clubs a couple years ago as well. Par for the course.

Then we’ve beaten those big clubs who’ve invested in their squad exponentially more than us in the big knockout cups. And its not just a one time thing either, 3 out of 4 seasons. That’s actually quite dominant.

Read that article about if the PL had playoffs how many times statistically we’d have won the league. Wenger still has it.

Don’t talk about 15/16 like that’s an achievement, please. The Manchester clubs and Chelsea dropped the ball and we still manage not to be Champions. If anything that particular season has put a huge dent in his legacy rather than to use it as a pro-Wenger argument.

If Wenger still has it we wouldn’t get beaten in the League in the same manner time and time again. Like against Stoke last weekend. That doesn’t make sense at all. Because he gets ripped apart tactically.

2 Likes

I bet even if we had won it then, you’d be saying it didn’t count because they dropped the ball.

1 Like

No. I wouldn’t have said that, because I know that’s the only option for us to have League success. And a Premier League title is a Premier League title.

3 Likes

Did you watch the game on the weekend to make an outlandish statement?

The lost last weekend was due to player error not tactical. Let’s not forget we did the double on stoke last season; to beat Chelsea twice, Man City and Man U last season more than throws out that argument about tactics.

Don’t do revisionist history to suit your agenda.

1 Like

Doubtful.