Arsène Wenger

I remember that multiple events factored in Ozil’s transfer.

1. Arsenal knew one of those 3 would be sold if Real bought Bale.
  2. Mourinho was sacked & Ancelotti was just appointed and he had not decided whom of those 3 he was to sell; but Arsenal were okay with anyone of them, most preferably Benzema.
  3. Isco & Illaramendi were signed so Real had one too many attacking midfielders.
  4. Bale was signed but not unveiled because Tottenham wanted to get other players in.
  5. Finally Ozil was asked to leave & we were there with our briefcase.

I wouldn’t call it a fluke. I would call it a calculated gamble.
We waited for stars to align.
Anyone who remembers that summer would remember who all 3 of those were constantly linked with Arsenal.

Edit - One of 4 as Higuain was also in our bucket list but Suarez was too tempting.

How could anyone not remember that summer we almost signed Suarez. I’m pretty sure Ozil wasn’t linked with us all summer, he came as a bit of a shock towards the end of the window to most.

He wasn’t linked all summer but he was certainly one of 3 players touted to be sold to fund Bale.

These quotes are 3 years old, trolls are reposting them on Twitter as new.

Seriously? Sorry, I delete the post immediately.

1 Like

So, new season is imminent, team desperately needs a striker, wide player and another CB. Instead of getting business done and intergrating the new players into the squad, Arsenal are sitting on their hands.

Why does Arsene insist on rolling the dice to start every season? Does he really think that Gab and Per at CB and Theo at striker is a good idea to start the season versus Liverpool and Leicester?

That tells you that Arsenal really aren’t interested in competing for a title.

3 Likes

I’m agree, we compete to be relegated.

The end is near, c’mon Arsène, sell all the players!

:facepalm:

2 Likes

We kept Diaby around for 10 years and paid him millions to never play any games. This is somewhat refreshing when you look at the big picture.

1 Like

Lol relegation. The classic Wenger boy comeback

3 Likes

???

You don’t wonder what the plan is when 4 or 5 first team players won’t be available to start the season and the club hasn’t signed anyone in those positions of need?

Dragging on any potential transfers to the end of the window to try and save a small bit of money isn’t a good strategy for what looks to be a very competitive league, much less for a top 4 spot. Starting slow by dropping points because the club hasn’t strengthened/improved positions of need while sitting on a huge pile of cash isn’t going to go over well–if people thought that the home crowd was caustic last season, this will only increase the pressure.

Why do this? What’s wrong with identifying targets, bringing them in BEFORE the season starts and getting the season off to a good start? Why start the season from such a weak position? It’s pretty stupid for a club that claims to be big time.

3 Likes

He wants cheap bargain.

1 Like

[quote=“Calum, post:81, topic:125, full:true”]
Lol relegation. The classic Wenger boy comeback
[/quote]Reminds me of the epic ‘Relegation thread’ of Gunning’s :arteta:

1 Like

[quote=“Mysty, post:84, topic:125, full:true”]

Sorry mate, but that was a true classic :ozil2:

Get moving Arsene, less than 4 weeks until the season kick off.

I hope this is the push he needs to finally get moving.

10 Likes

I’d be all for “it’s still early” but it is disheartening that United have sacked a coach, hired a coach and signed 3 starters by the start of July.

2 Likes

We have our opening PL game 3 weeks on Saturday. I didn’t believe it was that soon.

No Ozil Alexis Giroud Koscielny 4 key players. Sign some players Arsene otherwise when Liverpool do a Villa on us it won’t be pretty to be in that stadium,

1 Like

Wenger just bought Fantasy Football Manager 2017 and already started playing.

lol there will be no moves. AFC limited are done for the summer.

I’m not supporting a football club, I’m supporting a corporation. They’ve got their profit margins sorted.

5 Likes

I honestly think Wenger believes his team is good enough, plus with the fact they finished 2nd and he has half the fanbase cheering his name at the end of the season. He’s under no pressure to go out and sign big. He’s in the most comfortable job in football.

Even if he loses those two first games (Liverpool/Leicester) I doubt most of the fans will get on his back. You get a few boos and stuff but he’s pretty much got the AKB’s jumping through hoops.

I’d be very surprised if he signs anyone of top quality come the end of the window.

2 Likes