AFTV

Or maybe something akin to fanzone.

1 Like

I tried a few of his videos in the early days. He’s big on rhetorical questions isn’t he? Which is, I assume, why he’s short on intelligible analysis and interesting anecdotes. There simply isn’t enough time for all three.

“What’s that all about”, “What’s going on there”, “I dunno, what’s that all about” and the classic “I dunno, what’s all that about, I mean, what’s going on at the Arsenal”

The internet has allowed a lot of talentless idiots to make careers for themselves.

He’ll be calling himself an influencer next.

3 Likes

AFTV was always made to be a platform to build the profile of a select few, it’s such a shame because the idea of it is brilliant, to really give the fans a moment to address club issues happening on and off the pitch.

It’s also a shame the people they decided to build up are complete cunts who make the Arsenal fan-base look like a group of chavvy, ASBO wankers who don’t know how to string a coherent sentence together.

Honestly Auba’s interest in this shitshow is probably the only way he’s let me down since joining.

6 Likes

It’s the social influencer youtube celebrity phenomenon. I’d imagine he’s trying to make a career out of it. I’m just not sure how going to NYC helps him being a youtube/blog celebrity Arsenal fan.

2 Likes

He’ll be back when his NYC career flops 6 months to a year down the line. His put on Jamaican accent gets annoying as fuck and that’s from someone who grew up with it. I’ve seen him hundreds of times in and around the emirates and in Wembley around the Shisha shops and I really don’t think he has enough charisma or charm to carry that act independent of AFTV. Most people like these guys because of their meltdowns as such the people who watch AFTV are 50/50 Arsenal fans and fans from other clubs. No offence to him but outside of talking about Arsenal, I doubt any one will really be interested in listening to a hour plus of this guy.

4 Likes

might as well make the most of t, rather be your own boss and make way more money doing something you enjoy then working a “normal” job and getting paid less, I think it’s a smart move

What was Troopz day job before?

1 Like

no idea, I was talking mainly about youtubers though

Bet the guy whose rant put AFTV on the map wonders if he should have indulged a little more.

Except Ali G was a parody of London street culture involving a white guy pretending to be Black and the audience was kind of in on the joke.

Troopz may have become a joke but idk that he’s doing some sort of elaborate performance art.

He’ll fit right in with the other idiots at Barstool though. Those guys suck.

2 Likes

I just don’t see him been a success outside that AFTV bubble. He works better as part of ensemble then been a True Geordie type, his accent will be a massive problem especially if he’s trying to win over a new audience. People like him for his rants, I can’t imagine they will be letting him do the same act on Barstool Sports. When I heard he was doing podcast, if there is one guy on AFTV that shouldn’t be doing podcast’s it’s Troopz. The guy’s stoned most of the time lol. And Robbie bring’s out the best in him. I agree with you BizzySignal, i wouldn’t be overly surprised if he’s not back on AFTV in the next year or two.

But good luck to him, I can’t imagine it’s chump change he’s getting to pry him away from AFTV and he’s getting to go to New York. It’s a once in a lifetime chance, and as someone said he’s probably wanting to make a full time career with it. It’s pretty risky move as well as he’s got kids and a wife I think. If it was DT, I could see it been a success but with Troopz, i just can’t see this one going well sadly for him.

1 Like

Point still stands, show me an example of London street culture translating well to US media either on broadcast or radio/audio. Parody or not Ali G was the most successful

Troopz knew early on what his shtick was basically angry rants with excessive use of “blud” or “fam”. Not sure what else he brings to the table other than that

1 Like

I guess Big Shaq blew up pretty big for that one parody song, including state side I think, but as you asked for broadcast examples, it wouldn’t count. I can’t think of any other examples really and don’t think Big Shaq would prove you wrong anyway lol

2 Likes

Good example actually tbf

Barstool would definitely want him to rant, that’s why you hire a guy like Troopz. It’s not for his nuanced take on the efficacy of a double pivot against the press, it’s for him to deliver a steady stream of hot takes in a foreign (to American ears) accent which somehow automatically lends credibility to his points because casual American soccer fans always defer to English accented pundits.

2 Likes

If your content is empty and just full of blud and fam, anybody will get bored after a few times of listening.

Yes, I agree, the first few times listening to Troopz was fun, but after that, I just want to throw all the blud and fam back to him.

2 Likes

big robbie now doing spons for just eat :arteta:

Thats a good healthy british meal.

1 Like

I don’t miss eating meat a lot but goddamn I love hot wings.