Arsenal Vs West Ham United (PL)

Missed the match, how did we play?

Brilliant, weā€™re going to win the league

Shit I didnā€™t know the game was on

Not convincing at all, very important win for Emery to avoid pressure at the begining.

Bellerin was good going forward but my god we are exposed on the right side with him and mhiki

1 Like

Good to finally get the win. We struggled to get it though haha

Onto Cardiff now.

Was good to get the win, a relief and hopefully a turning point for emery

Love the way some people are going on about it being ā€œnot convincingā€ as if we should be blowing teams not in the top 6 away 5-0 every week.

Thereā€™s a massive job for the manager to do here, literally everyone in the country who knows their football knows Arsenal arenā€™t ā€œconvincingā€ at the moment. What counts is progress, and this is progress from the first couple of games, and where we were at the end of last season.

6 Likes

Wellā€¦when we were not convincing, im not saying i expect peak barcelona and i do agree it will take time, but i do expect better than this.

In all sincerity, why do you expect better?

I think Emery can make his job slightly easier by playing Lich and Torreira, you instantly sure up the weakest parts of the team with a summer additions

3 Likes

Only thing I can think of is Lucas isnā€™t fit to play a full 90 yet(?).

Would prefer Lucas with Guend next game.

We were really slow in the build up and did not take care of the ball well.
First half was awful by all standards, i am not saying we should be trashing teams at home like city, sometimes you play excellent and win by 1 goal or even draw.

Overall comments:

Defensive shambles again. Lack of flow and ideas for long stretches, but at least their defense was crap. If we had WC wing backs we would score 10 in a game like that.

Cech - hard to even give him a rating was so uninvolved but did fine when needed - 7

Monreal - pace is an issue, but scored a composed goal and did ok without proper cover on the wing - 6.5

Moose - some good moments, but defenders are about eliminating bad moments - canā€™t believe how shaky we were on 3/4 vs. 5/6ā€¦ they created too much and the goal they scored was beyond shambles team defending - 4.5

Papa - sighsā€¦ still not seeing itā€¦ we are so badly missing an aging Koss right now - 4.5

Bellerin - ok he was super hot and cold for meā€¦ actually today offered some danger on attack but was all over the shop on defenseā€¦ probably doesnā€™t help that we have a bunch of morons back there atm - 4.5

Xhaka - his best game for us in a while. Not great, but mostly did his jobā€¦ long stretches I forgot he was on t he pitch and thatā€™s ok with me right now - 5.5

Goozey - too erratic in passing, but I love his energy and ability to get back and win the ball. Pretty good instincts of where to me most of the time. Promising but not a great game today - 5

Micki - bad gameā€¦ yes, he is occasionally very dangerous but so often he lost it cheaply, offered zero protection for Bellerin (who needs it badly), and was very frustratingā€¦ not sure he works on the wing for us - 3.5

Iwobi - decent moments but not enoughā€¦ we didnā€™t create enough from his side and he too often dribbled into 3/4 defenders - 4.5

Ramsey - sadly, we still need himā€¦ he offers so much energy and attacking threat, and he is better than other alternatives; however, if he is competing with Ozil, that will be odd - 6.5

Auba - tough game but this is the striker I have wanted for a long while - we will score a lot of goals this season after 70 minutes b/c of this guy - his pace and skill terrify and give space and freedom to others. Reminds me a bit of Henry with his power and pace - 5.5

Laca - very good cameo. Helped give us better balance on attack somehowā€¦ didnā€™t hurt that WHU were tiring and chasing the game, but he was good - 7

Torry - okā€¦ a few stray passes but mainly did his job. I like his relative composure in midfieldā€¦ he is one of those players that for whatever reason rarely seems panicked with the ball in the middle - 5.5

Welbeck - lolā€¦ scoredā€¦ that is about itā€¦ great play by Bellerin and shambles defending, but he finished at least - 6

1 Like

Only match report worth reading

Sneaky 3pm kick off!

2 Likes

We appear to be worse defensively than under latter era Wenger. I missed the Man City / Chelsea games and didnā€™t quite appreciate this. West Ham shouldā€™ve scored at least 3 today, maybe 4.

I have us down for a top 4 finish but not at all sure now. Guendouzi tho, a real bright spark. Xhaka shouldnā€™t be tasked with shielding our back 4 ever again.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think our defense is any worse, maybe the other teams have gotten better offensively.

Actually change that ā€œmaybe 4ā€ to ā€œdefinitely 4ā€. How Snodgrass didnā€™t score is amazing, ditto Arnautovic in the 1st half and you can add that Antonio break to that where he just prodded it towards Cech instead of playing in his teammate.

2 Likes

Bellerin with two assists today with those cut back passes into the box, and itā€™s how we scored against Chelsea too. Our full backs are so far up the pitch that the midfielders have to cover. Guendouzi has more tackles and interceptions than anyone in the PL this seasonā€¦and then youā€™ve got a farmer partnering him back there that literally isnā€™t the level of a professional football player. Makes sense to me.