Arsenal Vs Manchester City (PL)

3-1 to the Arsenal ladies and Gentleman
Saka , Luiz and Pepe

Iā€™d rotate heavily for this, last thing we need for the 2nd leg is heavy legs due to chasing city around all afternoon, even if we put in a good performance itā€™ll likely result in a loss against city.

1 Like

3-2. City go 2 up via Sterling and Stones. We get 1 back before the break, a Xhaka free kick. Second half Aubameyang equalises. Then a Bellerin winner in the 89th minute.

2 Likes

1 Like

I think Martinelli on the left is such a piss away of his strengths

2 Likes

I see him definitely as a striker.

2 Likes

Yeah same.

I donā€™t want to rush Partey back just for this humbling.

He will replace Lacazetteā€™s spot in the team next season as a striker IMO

2 Likes

I really like this team. Play on the break, rest Saka, Auba, and ESR for Benfica, and if weā€™re tied or within a goal with 20 minutes to play then consider bringing a couple of them on.

I have a feeling Pep might rotate as well in preparation of their CL match, holding back Gundogan and maybe a couple others, and give his apprentice a chance to scrape some kind of result here.

I donā€™t see any sense in resting players for EL games. We are not winning that trophy, weā€™ll be hard pressed to get into the last 16.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll win it either, but ultimately itā€™s all we have left in the season and it would be negligent to not give ourselves the best opportunity possible.

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it make sense to rotate a bit and at least try to progress past Benfica and see what happens rather than run back the same lineup from Thursday that already looked exhausted? It would almost guarantee the team plays like crap next Thursday and probably falls apart at 60 minutes against City.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree with the principle, but I wouldnā€™t agree with prioritising a stronger lineup in the EL.

Yup. And dont forget Auba will be an old fart next season. Plenty of gametime for the lad.

1 Like

You think weā€™d have enough to get past Benfica with a somewhat rotated side?

We probably could because Benfica look absolutely awful but I just worry that if we get smashed by City, drop out of the EL at the same stage as last year against an unsexy opponent (just like last year), what exactly is the point of Artetaā€™s project?

I guess you could say that heā€™d have until May to figure out what he wants to do with the roster and make arrangements for the summer.

Maybe we could go on a run and get back into the EL via the league table but I really doubt it.

Bloody hell, Leps, youā€™re gonna quote the entire post in your reply, aintcha :joy:

1 Like

No, I doubt we have enough to get past Benfica no matter how strong a team we play.

The point of Artetaā€™s management should be to improve the teamā€™s ability to compete in the league. I like him, I want him to succeed and I also think heā€™s had a raw deal having a season in this pandemic for his first full year. But if we finish where we are in the league then he has no progress to show for over a year in the top job. If we canā€™t compete in the league we certainly canā€™t compete in Europe.

Chelsea 2011-2012 would like to have a talk.

1 Like

Oof, I thought Benfica were absolute toilet. Iā€™d like to think weā€™d have enough to get by them running at that backline for 90 minutes. We just have to win the match. I realize a score draw sends it to extras and a high scoring draw sees us go out, but that Benfica team didnā€™t look like they could create a fart after several rounds of Nandoā€™s. I canā€™t see them scoring more than one unless we have a total meltdown.

2 Likes

Anything less than a humiliation and we would have done well. City have been ruthless and I just donā€™t see us troubling them in anyway.

Arteta should just call Pep and ask him to be gentle with us. Tell him weā€™ll bring on Willian and Elneny when weā€™ve had enough.

2 Likes