Arsenal Vs Doncaster Rovers (Carabao Cup 3rd Round)

Increase the prize money and everyone will give a fuck.
The bullshit about tiredness and prestige will evaporate real quick.

2 Likes

For now, give it another season and the pompous attitude towards trophies will have spread to this one too

1 Like

The League cup has nothing to do with English sides recent failings in the Champions League, I mean the League was still around from 2005-2009 wasn’t it ?

The lack of winter break is likely a far bigger factor than the League Cup

3 Likes

Personally I think it’s just more due to the top Spanish sides being superior at football in the last few years

1 Like

all two of them?

The lack of a winter break didn’t stop United, Chelsea or Liverpool winning in Europe.

I guess it’s easier to play the blame game than to just say our teams in recent years haven’t been good enough to compete at the highest level.

I’m not saying a winter break would make no difference - it might, it might not and I know there is an argument that it helps with injuries etc - but better play and better players also help, weird that :grin:

Anyway I thought the biggest argument for a winter break was that it would help our national team? No length of break will turn Walcott into Leo Messi!

2 Likes

Didn’t stop us from making the final in 2006 or Liverpool in 2007 even though we lost.

I just think our teams haven’t been good enough recently.

Winter break will just mean money spinning friendly games abroad. Loads of brand marketing shite spiel being spouted by clubs.

Atletico also, Juve, PSG and Bayern have all been just better, probably add Dortmund also.

Nah not Dortmund or PSG really.

That’s not what I did. I simply said that I thought that the lack of winter break is likely a bigger factor than the League Cup. I didn’t for a second say it was to blame for the failings of English sides, just that it was more detrimental than the League Cup which I dont think makes all that much difference to performance in Europe.

You and @Cristo seem to be responding to something I didn’t actually say, as if I’m not aware that English sides have reached and won European finals whilst not having a winter break.

Pep now saying the same

1 Like

My overidng point is the English clubs failures has nothing to do with the League cup or no winter break, both those existed in the period of 2005-2009 when English sides went really well in the CL.

1 Like

I wasn’t actually replying to you so much as I was just agreeing with Jade

correlation / causation.

Winter break is absolutely an issue and has been mentioned by more than enough players.

It wasn’t a direct response to what you said. Your comment just reminded me of the view amongst some fans of top clubs at the moment.

And in response to Pep being given all these column inches for saying the same thing as Mourinho, this is what I have a problem with. The majority of league clubs are marginalised to suit the big teams. Let’s debate it because Pep and José have an opinion, yet if a fan/player of a lower-tier team gave their view I doubt the media would even report on it! What they want isn’t important.

2 Likes

Players and managers will always have excuses for failings.

1 Like

if that is what footballers are saying then it’s probably worth taking it on board rather than deciding you know best.

But whatever man.

Why not call for an 18 team league like most of europe. Save 4 matches and continue with the League cup. Energy argument out the window, but of course a loss of revenue would raise its head then.
Also no energy shouts when were playing domestic walk arounds in the states etc at the end of long seasons is the.