Arsenal Vs BATE Borisov (UEL Round of 32 2nd Leg) (Aggregate 0-1)

I think if we went out this early and didn’t get top 4, he probably would be gone.

Conversely, if we got further and still eventually went out, I think he’d be fine.

1 Like

I think the only way he gets the arse after this season is if we go out to BATE and finish Several points off 4th place.

1 Like

Exactly. The top 4 for me atm. Fuck the Europa League.

Alright Wenger, Top 4 isn’t a trophy you know :wink:

Still prefer trying to win Europa more

1 Like

If we go out to BATE but manage to get a top four place, he will have done a better job than Wenger in the last few seasons, so he will have got himself at least another transfer window and following season to sort this mess out.

Top 4 IS a trophy :sunglasses: As if I’d go this long proudly displaying our silverware if it weren’t a thing :+1:

Arsenal vs Borisov, we’ll turn them over easily on a proper pitch.

Didn’t watch the first leg - can only imagine it was a shambolic and lacklustre performance.

We should progress in the home leg - shudder to think about the backlash towards Emery if we fail.

Their in a better position for turning a pitch over though.:grinning:

I’d actually say they are just about even… it isn’t valid to say we are competing with 32 teams b/c we only have 4-5 teams left to play in the whole competition, right? With knock-outs it is easier to progress if we prioritize it and make sure you put your best performance out there when it matters against the inevitable 2 or 3 good teams towards the end.

Utd is in driver’s seat for CL in EPL but only 1 point above us and Chelsea are faltering badly (as are we)… I’d say at this moment our chances in Euro League are about 30% and our chances in EPL for top 4 are 25%.

It’s perfectly valid. It’s combinatorics, in a game where a mistake means elimination, your chances of success are much smaller. They improve with each round but not before you pass through it. You compete against everyone in the pool, doesn’t matter you are going to play only against a certain proportion of the pool.

Just like we don’t compete against 12 teams for top 4 even though we have 12 league matches until the end of the season.

THere’s two ways to look at that… one victory can seal the whole thing practically too, which absolutely isn’t the case in a league competition where there are 36 points left to compete for… its why the FA Cup is easier for teams like us b/c we have zero chance to compete on large samples of games.

And I just disagree logically with your “32 teams” point - you don’t compete against all teams b/c other teams get eliminated before they are relevant to you - that is the nature of knock-out competitions… we are competing against 2 other teams for top 4 right now and most years that is about true. Doesn’t change the estimates I gave - they are my opinion, obviously bookies will put together their odds on all this.

Well, if you want to argue with mathematics be my guest but I am going to respectfully exclude myself from that argument.

lol you obviously are missing the point… saying we are competing with 32 teams is equally invalid to say we are competing for top 4 with 16 teams - it is logically and mathematically true still (only Huddersfield can’t overcome us mathematically)… but it isn’t rational.

We are for all intents and purposes (and for different reasons) competing with 2, maybe 3 teams for top 4… and we are competing with a significant subset of the 32 in the Euro.

I mean I’m not, your point is wrong but keep going.

But the 4th spot is more doable, imo.

Think these farmers made their pitch crap deliberately.

use it as a turning point, come out screaming, win 7-0, win Europa league and get CL from there instead so that we can fuck the PL table positions right off as we’re not getting 1st anyway and the rest are just degrees of spurs trophies then :arteta:

1 Like

I never expect us to win the EL, but losing to Bate is just unacceptable.
We lost the away game, FINE…
Coming back to home, if we got eliminated, sorry, can’t support Emery anymore.

Would love a 10-0 win here. Fucking eastern farmers.

I agree; I’m already starting to waiver slightly.

I think if we got knocked out here and didn’t get top 4, he’d have to go, as much as I hate the idea of giving a manager one season.