Arsenal vs Atlètico Madrid (UEL Semi Final 1st Leg)

Funny man.

I’ll be sure to revisit it in a week’s time to cheer myself up after we’ve been knocked out by Atletico. Such defiance is truly a wonderful thing to behold.

3 Likes

Come on peeps. Believe!

We shall go on to the end.
We shall fight in Spain.
We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills.
WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!

4 Likes

Put the pressure on Atlètico trophy.

Let’s not forget we were all over them before the red card. And it was only really after half time that they went full on bus mode. We’re capable of winning there.

Whether we pull it off is a different matter.

3 Likes

We were going to be all over them because this is how they play. We will be ‘all over them’ in the return leg too. Funny enough they took the result home…

1 Like

For all of 10 minutes. We have started really strongly a lot of important big games, both domestic and European. Without the red card that dominance would have faded away somewhere in the middle of the first half.

Well, gotta keep the faith I guess. That, and one goal, is all we have.

You might be right but I don’t think we would have, Simone’s naturally defensive and more often than not sacrifices possession for solidarity.

Just look at some of Atleti’s possession stats this season.

Betis (H) 32.3%
Sociedad (A) 42.9%
Sporting (A) 43.8%
Madrid (H) 34.5%
Sporting (H) 42.3%
Villarreal (A) 37,4%
Las Palmas (H) 44.3%
Sevilla (H) 38.6%
Villarreal (H) 45.3%
Betis (A) 26.4%

There’s a good chance with or without the extra man we still would have dominated possession last night and will probably do the same in the Wanda Metropolianto Stadium too.

3 Likes

On the contrary, we had many games that dominated (really dominated) the possession but could not get a result.

There style is probably our biggest weakness but also our biggest chance to go through. We will have possession. How are we going to use that…

1 Like

That’s all great but I wasnt talking about possession at all, we have possession over most teams and nothing to show for it. As @Craigie pointed out we were all over them until the red card and that was mostly in the final third, we already had a couple of scoring chances by then. That has happened on numerous big occasions in my memory but it doesn’t last. The effect wears off and our football becomes a lullaby. 10 men changes a lot in a game, 11vs11 would have been very different in terms of how close we would have been able to get to even though we would still dominate possession. They would have been a lot more dangerous as well.

2 Likes

We had won the Possession Cup for like… 20 years in a row already??

Still better than Spurs :mustafi:

It’s not so much the result as how that result came about.

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/989932592370724864

if these lying cunts the sun are wrong again…

2 Likes

UEFA said Simeone faces separate charges of insulting a match official and “improper conduct” that could carry a two-match ban, but UEFA’s disciplinary panel will not judge the case until next Friday – after the semifinal second leg in Madrid.

oh ffs UEFA are such dickheads.

He shouldn’t even be playing if Auba can’t play for us

edit:

https://twitter.com/MrArsenicTM/status/989945474009493510

hehehe

1 Like

How in the fuck can a person (i know he is not a player) be sent off and find himself potentially taking part in the next game of the competition that seems rather corrupt to me.

1 Like

It’s shit procedurally but hardly corrupt.