Arsenal vs Atlètico Madrid (UEL Semi Final 1st Leg)

Luckily we get another crack next season at our first European trophy since 24 years because we will be in this for the foreseebable future. Yesterday was so symbolic for this clubs past eight years. Bottling it in the last 10 minutes of the game. It’s so fucking frustrating. I’m sure the excitement for the new manager and stuff will get back, but right now it has evaporated completely.

4 Likes

That’s ridiculous.
We don’t need a CB.
We need two CB’s and a defensive coach :wink:

If we can’t beat ten men, at home, after going ahead, then it’s going to be difficult.

Saying that, there have been plenty of games that have been turned around in Europe this season, by smaller teams against bigger teams, with larger goal differences.

If we score early, they will need to win.
Any score draw and it will mean the game goes to penalties, or more than 1-1 we go to the final.
Maybe this performance will make sure the players are more focused and not complacent in the second leg.

1 Like

Gutted!

Worst isolated moment of disappointment I’ve felt as an Arsenal fan in fucking years.

3 Likes

Yes we can score out there. Thing why I think we lose, is we cant manage situations. Moscow proved that and the last 7 years in CL.
We will have a go but come up short as usual.

1 Like

After a good night’s sleep, I still want to punch Koscielny in the face.

10 Likes

He’d try and fight back and end up punching himself in the face.

7 Likes

As for some having a dig at Simeone’s style, if we went down to 10 men after 10 mins in Madrid, what are people’s thoughts on what the score would be ?

6 Likes

80 minutes of playing with a man more and still 1-1. I am afraid EL dream is over now.

Not even a thought experiment. Didn’t we got a man down early on in 2 of our 5-1 thrashings by Bayern?

I think the one we went a man down was a 0-2 loss at home, with Alaba missing a penalty ?

Atletico are probably going to play for a clean sheet in the 2nd leg, just as they did yesterday. Simeone won’t give a fuck that Atleti are at home and there is a moral obligation for his team to attack. I want to belive they’ll be a bit more open but that’s unlikely. They’ll be playing us on the counter again.

I am however slightly optimistic because that is exactly what they came to do last night and even before the sending off, we created good chances. We have to hope we can do that again in Spain. Their defence was seriously creaking at various stages in the match and although its going to be way harder at their ground, we have the capability of putting them under pressure.

Of course, the only issue with that is that we are fucking awful away from home and have a tendency to cake our pants in big European games (as @JakeyBoy and others have pointed out above). But I’m not thinking about that right now…

5 Likes

Away record in Europe has been good this year though…

Unbeaten in ko away games so far… :giroud3:

I want to believe. Get it done fuckers

2 Likes

OK

Father Christmas is real and Jesus’s blood runs through your veins.

Food abuse needed :mustafi:

It’s good to see some defiance and optimism from arsenal fans on here

The plan is simple for once: provoke Costa and get him sent off, then score a goal.

Then control the game 80-20 and concede against the run of play through a multitude of gigantic fuck ups?

Lol! At least we would go to ET.

I didn’t specify how many times we concede :stuck_out_tongue:

ET go home.