Arsenal v Liverpool (PL)

My sympathy for Emery is low though because the kind of players he wanted would have kept us in the same position lol

1 Like

I kind of agree and also the money was there for Emery he didnā€™t step up and make the board follow the players he wants. That was ultimately on him.

Though Wenger left behind such a horrid fucking squad I do have a little sympathy, at least Fergie left behind a horrendous squad that won a title. Wengerā€™s Frankenstein squad couldnā€™t even get top 4

5 Likes

There was such a nasty power struggle behind closed doors going on anyway. I think the board were split on Emery and he was clearly a Raul / Sven / Vinai hire whereas Arteta is an Edu / Josh hire so he has the unequivocal backing of higher management.

2 Likes

Nkunku was a good shout on hindsight from Emery tho

1 Like

How do I change my vote, was on the phone and selected a Liverpool win, fuck that, we winning this!

1 Like

City game tonight has an impact here. They win Liverpool are a little more desperate for the win and a bit more vulnerable.
Lose and they are sensing a good title shot and coming out strong.
City draw theyā€™ll be looking at the win but happy with a draw to a degree.
Iā€™d take this into the equation before making my prediction.

Press show vote and that gives you the option

Thank you

Heart says we can win, head says we likely get overrun.

Both teams rely on attacking from the wings so our wingers and fullbacks will have to elevate their game massively.

This really set us back by a few seasons.
They could have planned out the post-Wenger era much more efficiently, instead all of them looked after their own interests.

2 Likes

Our record against this lot is pretty poor

But Iā€™m still predicting us to win. Just because.

2 Likes

I think we could get a draw and although weā€™re at home, there is less pressure on us.
Itā€™s great that weā€™re beating the teams below us but these are the games we have to start winning if we are going to be taken seriously title contenders.

5 Likes

Huge game imo to say if our trajectory is actually upwards or that we basically regressed to our mean. Five out of eight games against City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool have been lost this season if Iā€™m not mistaken. Albeit we were not the lesser of two teams against United we still lostā€¦

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s certainly a negative thing about our campaign, the loss at Old Trafford really stings and playing so well vs City NYD and taking zilch.

Our trajectory has obviously been going upwards. I donā€™t see how that can be remotely debated at this point or why the result on Wednesday would change that assessment.

But I agree that the match will be one useful measuring stick for thinking about how much further we need to go or how close we are to getting there.

3 Likes

I see it different tbh. I think 6 points off both the Leicester, Wolves games is more the focus of this season.
Chances of doing this with spurs and West Ham too.
I think we will get a truer picture of where this team is off them.
Be nice bonus beating Liverpool but think the platform gets built on from the other clubs. Just my take though.

5 Likes

Lol across the past four games theyā€™ve scored 9 against us and we havenā€™t even scored one.

I worry about our left side - Tierney has never been a great 1v1 defender and heā€™s been sub-par recently. Salah could eat him alive unless Martinelli and Xhaka put a massive shift in to double up and shut down the space around him.

Martinelli in particular needs to run himself into the ground for the first hour then we can bring EDB on for the final 30.

Saka as well will need to be more conscious of his defensive duties too but I hope we can peg them back a bit with our own attacking threat on that side. Really wanted to see Tomiyasu back for a game like this as heā€™s a brilliant 1v1 defender.

5 Likes

I think weā€™re in for something special Wednesday night.

2 Likes

I think the 4-4-2 diamond approach will really help shore up our left side. With Xhaka, Martinelli and Tierney on the left it at least keeps the Liverpool right a little more congested for Trent and Salah.

I also think Klopp rates Martinelli highly enough to maybe want Trent a little more reserved about pushing forward as frequently as he usually does.

I donā€™t see us winning this one at all as much as Iā€™d love it. But I do hope we put up a really good account.

3 Likes

Donā€™t know what the latest thoughts in here are about this, but Iā€™m still of the belief that this match is a ā€œfree hitā€ for us. My main concern going into the match is the possibility of similar happening to Cedric as happened to Tavares at Anfield.