Arsenal transfers 23/24

The papers previously reported we made a bid of circa £30m + Guendouzi for Houssem Aouar. If that’s correct we have £30m to play with plus any money from player sales. £16m from the sale of Martinez gives us the money to puchase Partey, but we would be short of money for Aouar.

Partey would strengthen our midfield from day one, but Aouar looks like a quality long term addition. To get both, it’s looking likely that we would need £25m from sale of Torreira, £5m savings on wage bill from Sokratis departure, and £5m savings on wage bill from Kolasinac departure. We may get a nominal transfer fee for one or both players, but this seems increasingly unlikely.

That would still leave us £20-£30m short, which means we would likely have to sell Guendouzi or Bellerin to fund both purchases this summer. Chambers would raise some money, but his injury may put off potential teams. I do wonder whether Fulham or Leeds would come back in for him. Newcastle were looking at Holding, so maybe they would be interested.

If we are able to secure both this summer, secure Auba on a new deal, along with signing Gabriel, Willian and Ceballos on loan…I think Edu and Arteta would have done an amazing job given the current circumstances.

2 Likes

I lost track - is Kola gone or on the way out?

More than amazing… that would be miraculous.

That backup keeper is probably shite but who cares.

We need better midfielders more than we need a good backup keeper

1 Like

Agreed I couldn’t care less about the back up keeper as long as it means we can stop laying 3-4-3 with Xhaka and ELNeny in the middle

Agree with strengthening the midfield, but we still need a decent back up. Also we aren’t going to progress if our mmidfield hopes rest soley on Xhaka and Elneny…We need to upgrade our squad

Didn’t say we win the league though lol. I think we’re two players away from a top 4 side at best, that’s pretty realistic I think, isn’t it lol.

The creative mid is the one for me, i think we can get away without a Partey for a year. But someone who can chip in with a lot of assists and some goals would be nice.

4 Likes

Getting 20 million for Martinez, when a few months ago we be lucky to get 2 million is a steal. We need the money and Martinez clearly wants 1st team football. So Good luck to him

Get Torreria, Kol, Sokratis and one or two others off the books too. And get in our transfer targets if we can. It be a great window overall.

Right now I still think one of our weaknesses is going to be playing against teams who are happy to sit back and let us come to them. It’s clear we’re trying to draw teams out then have aubameyang in a 1v1 situation with the defender.

I think Aouar helps us against teams who defend deep.

The low hanging fruit in the league is finding ways to consistently beat the teams 8th-20th. Our squad still lacks the creative depth to allow that IMO, which is why I think Aouar would have greater benefits than Partey.

4 Likes

Partey. I just really like our new found defensive stability too much and I think Partey and Ceballos together, with the former’s dribbling and both their passing ability, is good enough to unlock deep defending team. In order to do that Arteta should play two out off Willian/Pepe/Saka more often.

1 Like

If we could get both, as well as get rid of two or three surplus players, that would be an ideal window.

I think Arteta might keep both Holding and Chambers because of our defensive injury problems.
Also, Chambers hasn’t played for a while and needs to prove himself to potential buyers.

But, like you say, if we can sell or swap Guendouzi, Torreira, Martinez, Kolasinac and Sokratis, the wages saved and transfer fees mean we could get Partey and Aouar, which would be very good business.
We also need to see Aubameyang sign a new contract.

But I’ll be very surprised if we sell more than two of Guendouzi, Torreira, Martinez, Kolasinac and Sokratis and I also doubt we’ll get get both Partey and Aouar.

For a club notorious for a lack of urgency, and being fairly lacklustre in the transfer market, it’s a lot to ask but, if it does happen, I’ll start to believe that the club is willing to back Arteta and see us succeed.

1 Like

If we get both that would probably mean Arteta needs to change the current set up. Not sure he is prepared to do that this season.

1 Like

We should get both.

But if I have to pick, I’d go with Partey because I like him a lot and I’d imagine he’d maybe take less time to adapt as well.

€24m for Torreira. Not as high as we’d get in normal time’s but it feels good to have the money banked.

40mill+ now generated on Martinez and Torreira.

Announce Aouar!

6 Likes

At this point, I reckon only Sokratis, Chambers and Torreira will leave (obviously Emi is pretty much gone). Maybe Kolasinac if we’re lucky.

1 Like

seems alright though, isn’t that about what he cost us in the first place, we sell him for €24m we practically loaned him for a couple of seasons. Think he is a good player but if we’re not going to use him we have to get rid I suppose.

1 Like

I went with Partey as well because he is in his prime now, ready-made. I feel like his profile is exactly what can set us apart from other sides in the Prem.
Can’t wait to see Partey in our setup seeing how Arteta has transformed Xhaka, Elneny and Ceballos.

2 Likes

I’m not the most informed when it comes to other leagues, I can’t say I watch any consistently enough to really have a worthwhile opinion on the question asked by the poll. But Partey looks like the kind of midfielder most of us have wanted to see signed for about fifteen years now, so that’s why I’ve voted for him.

6 Likes

Pure fantasy/fm stuff but if we can get rid of Laca, Papa, Kola, Torreira, Chambers and then bring in Partey, Aour and Edouard it would be a near perfect window that I think will have us easily back in the top four.

I think we’re getting top four anyway, but I think that with the right signings now, anything will be possible next year.

5 Likes

Yeah, Partey is a rich man’s Lorik Cana. Hope we get him.

1 Like