Arsenal transfers 23/24

I agree, it’s unlikely we’ll get Maddison because there are too many other positions that need strengthening but I certainly rate him.
If he can perform well at a relegation club like Leicester imagine what he could do at a top club like us but I think he’ll go to Newcastle so it will be interesting to see how he does at a bigger club playing alongside better players.

Buying from the PL has worked for well for Arteta.
He identifies players he wants and because they’re already playing in the PL he knows they won’t take as long to adjust as players from inferior leagues.

This would be the ideal scenario but unlike Man City, Chelsea or Man U, we can’t afford to have two world class players for every position.
But I agree any team who wants to win the title has to have more top quality attacking options and it’s this lack of depth that has seen us drop points towards the end of this season in the last few games.

What unresolved trauma are you dealing with that has Mason Mount as a dream buy for a club with title aspirations?

5 Likes

balogun and they give us £30m for screwing us over in the first place.

Christ we have a lot of trash at the club on loan don’t we? :sweat_smile: Quite looking forward to clearing the books with those guys.

I’m a little surprised about how excited folk are for Mount, Maddison and Rice. Honest question to all, what do you see in their game? I honestly don’t see how they’ll transform or significantly improve our team. Maybe Rice, but I don’t see what’s so special about him.

If we’re looking at just maintaining our pedigree as a top 4 club, then sure. But if you’re going for the EPL and/or CL; I’m just not excited about any of these midfield options tbh.

City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool/Man Utd are the new top 4 imho. I can’t see how these midfield options would displace the folk currently in the top 2. I guess they’d be decent back-up options, since we’re in multiple competitions? :person_shrugging:

1 Like

A bit harsh. There’s plenty of positives with those three.

Rice = Can hold a midfield, can drop into the backline in a way that may become important with Saliba’s back issues, can pick a pass, may have more to his game than he’s able to showcase at a place like West Ham.

Maddison = Can provide true competition and/or compliment Odegaard in midfield, provides goals, dribbling, could allow us to play around with the shape of the team given his ability to play left, right or central.

Mount = Is friends with Declan Rice.

4 Likes

That’s a fair assessment. How do you rate Maddison on his potential to provide assists / vision?

I’ve really missed us having a proper CAM like Fabregas / Ozil who can thread throughballs like no other. Odegaard is great, but unsure if he’ll reach prime Ozil / Fabregas level.

On Mount and Maddison, think of the season Odegaard is having in terms of goal involvements.

Odegaard’s best season is still nowhere near them in terms of output.

I wouldn’t replace him for them but we need more players who can contribute in our midfield.

How many times have we seen Xhaka fuck an opening in the final third since he returned from the World Cup? How many times has his inability to carry the ball slowed us down?

2 Likes

The simplistic view is that all three have legs and an engine. Fundamental for a Premier League midfielder these days.

On a slightly more macro level, Rice has versatility, Mount has top level experience (including Champions League) and Maddison has a proven record of goals and assists in the league.

In terms of what they can add to our team, Rice is brilliant positionally, tidy in the ball and covers ground. At worst he is a less technically version of Jorginho with legs and can match El Nenny’s work rate with added ability.

Mount is dynamic and makes defence splitting runs. Somebody compared him to Ramsey. Think that is a fair comparison. Mount is far more intelligent as a footballer though. I like him but he isn’t a player who elevates us.

Maddison is bloody brilliant in my opinion. Technical, hard-working and has output. Set pieces are quality as well.

A midfield three of Rice, Mount and Maddison out works and outperforms most of the leagues midfield threes. Partey and Odegaard will start most games anyway.

Exactly why we need someone more technical. Xhakas flaw is that he’s pretty clunky on the ball despite being a decent passer, he needs a few touches.

But we can’t simply stick another Odegaard there we need our version of a gundogan and I don’t think mount is it.

Don’t think mount has the brain for the 1 touch passing we would want him to do.

Maddision is at a relegation club but still has stats comparable with players at better teams.
He’s a dynamic player that makes things happen and is involved in a lot of Leicester goals but although he’s not be elite, he is certainly worth 50m and would be great as another option in our attack.

Saying that, it seems Arteta prefers Rice who is more likely to be our marquee signing but I doubt any of Mount, Caiecedo, Maddison will join him here.

You make it sound like he’s got 0 tekkers.

Look at this assist:

This looks like a player with no technique to you?

4 Likes

Simon Jones saying we’re looking at Guehi and Sutalo.

1 Like

That’s true. I do think Xhaka is honestly hopeless in midfield. Arteta’s getting the very best out of him.

While he may be a good fit for Arsenal, there’s no way we pay him £200K+ p/w.

There’s got to be another option.

Tielemans at 130?

I’d much rather Mount.

Rice and Tielemans would be good business but Mount and no one else would be a bit underwhelming.

Mount and nobody else would be a disgustingly poor summer.

Rice is the one realistic, midfield signing that improves us the most. Rice and Partey starting every game is unnecessary though.

1 Like

Nah, he(Tielemans) is on a free, he’ll probably ask for more.

Let’s be honest, most players players out there with some of credibility would ask for £150k pw or more.

1 Like

Another reason why Mount is a better option even at a cost of say 50m. Tielemans is a decent player but he has no legs.

well if we make what I said ‘no technique’ then nope but an upgrade on xhaka technically? not really. for 200k pw? i’m good.

Ramsey mk II can go to Bayern or Liverpool (where he’d flourish best). I’ll trust the club if they sign him but personally not a fan of it.