Arsenal transfers 23/24

Before the window opened we had no strikers so buying Jesus and getting Nketiah to sign a new deal was the bare minimum and we still need a winger and a top quality CM.

1 Like

Have to have a bit more pragmatism than this though.
Sure you can have top targets and if you donā€™t get them then fine you donā€™t just get anyone in but you need an alternative.
Itā€™s an interesting point you make with Pepe but the difference is you at least upgrade on him as a usable alternative.
Narrowing the options and already sending messages of certain players not getting games is just lowering our numbers.

Iā€™ve said it before and I appreciate that I only ever do this transfer stuff in Football Manager, but I would have bought a target-man-style forward. Nothing special just someone tall and physical whoā€™ll come on and give us something different when weā€™re chasing a goal. That Mitrovic guy would do, I was impressed with his shithouseary.

However, Iā€™m trying not to give in to shiny new toy syndrome and remind myself that weā€™ve already got a far better squad than last season, not perfect though, not yet.

1 Like

Look I 100% want us signing players and now I would like at least two. But I can see why we potentially donā€™t sign anyone.

Our squad is definitely a big improvement on what we had last year and looking at other clubs opening games, they have not vastly improved on last year. I want us challenging for the title but if we have a limited budget, cannot get who we want and have top 4 as the aim, then I can see how we accept what we have until the next window and then try again.

Well itā€™s partly an upgrade because we have added 3 starting numbers to it.
We were on a very small squad because of not wanting to use players like Pepe.
Now I get that and we have moved him on. Same situation with AMN, but you have to fill the spaces.
You also have the added factor of Europe and its a significant difference to our fixtures.
Also have a 5 sub rule to exploit and take advantage of.

2 Likes

Not arguing that. I can see however with all the dross we had to let go on a free that were signed a lot of the time as last minute fillers, that the club is reticent to do the same again and also doesnā€™t have the budget to do this and sign the players we actually want moving forward.

Signing a loan player as a stop gap is also difficult for the calibre we are wanting

Well for example if we sign nobody iā€™d even keep that tosser AMN.

Can be useful across the 50 odd games iā€™m sure, if Mikel pulled his head out his ass and used him. We donā€™t need to let all the squad fillers go if we canā€™t afford to replace them.

2 Likes

The problem (doesnā€™t have to be a problem) is our system. The back 5 is solid and Bar Robert Holding and Turner , we can rotate without much(if any) drop off in quality. Tierney is a different style of player to Zinny though, granted.

Our midfield balance is all over the place if you take Partey out. If we still played a double pivot, Tielemans would be a quality signing as any of the following pairings have balance : Partey and Tielemans, Xhaka and Tielemans, Zinchenko and Tielemans, The Belgian brothers.

The issue is that we do not play a double pivot and dropping Xhaka deep again may not work. Also Zinchenko is critical to giving Partey and Xhaka licence to express themselves.

Long story short, Tielemans doesnā€™t solve our problem; Danilo or a similar deeper player might help us out as we can cover the number 8 position from within.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I would do to be honest. He can play as a number 6 or possibly even as an inverted full back.

We can easily survive at 8 between ESR, Vieira, Lokonga and obviously Xhaka. Itā€™s exactly as you say, the 6 is the problem because we only have Elneny as backup.

a) heā€™s solid but not spectacular so there is a drop off
b) heā€™s currently fucked

Soon time to play the I told you so-card. We all knew this was gonna happen.

Xhaka and Tielemans would be a candidate for least athletic midfield in the Premier League. Would be a disaster

2 Likes

Possibly Edu/Arteta feel exactly the same way and that is why we havenā€™t signed him

Fabinho (in 2022) and Thiago would give them a run. I actually agree: Xhaka and Tielemans could be a disaster for that reason.

Yeah Pepe did play fuck all minutes last season, but Saka didnā€™t miss a league game and we had no European football to contend with.

I think the squad is too thin as it stands at CM and the wide positions but hopefully Leper is right.

2 Likes

What happened to @GC-Maniac :hushed:

A few people got at him for posting about football on a football forum. Crazy

6 Likes

Preparing himself for deadline day. Dusting off the yellow tie.

7 Likes

:pinched_fingers:.

6 Likes

Kem Izzet on a free anyone?