Arsenal transfers 23/24

We really need a CM this window rather than an AM? No sign of Pepe going to a willing buyer to make room either.

This was more of a fantasy situation than a practical one lol

CM is absolutely no.1 priority.

1 Like

Same show pony mugged us off in the fa cup final, game changed when he got injured.

They overpaid for sure but that means fuck all to Chelsea. Heā€™ll definitely be off soon though, their fans have turned on him.

Yeah because heā€™s substandard. Journeyman player who would be right at home in the Dutch League.

Your hatred for Dortmund is one of my favorite subplots on OA.

Iā€™m not Pulisicā€™s biggest fan but heā€™s more than a speed merchant. He gets a reputation as a head down hard worker because thatā€™s generally how USA players are viewed but I think heā€™s way more of a luxury player than a grafter.

Chelsea have used him in some strange ways.

Def needs a move away though. I remember he tore up our backline during the 2020 FA Cup Final before he went off hurt.

1 Like

He hasnā€™t had a string of consistent performances since that final partly due to injury but still, heā€™s been very poor.

Was a strange signing from the beginning, donā€™t think heā€™s gonna make it there.

1 Like

Nah he was never going to make it there. I think he was signed the winter before their transfer ban went through and Hazard left so he probably spent more time there than I certainly anticipated. I thought for sure heā€™d get loaned a bunch and eventually settle somewhere midtable or go back to Germany.

He had injury issues before his hamstring problem in 2020 and maybe at a smaller club he gets more consistent playing time.

And look, letā€™s not pretend that Pulisic playing while Englandā€™s Brave Mason Mount sits on the bench doesnā€™t rankle some of their fans.

It was a calculated gamble by Chelsea that he might become a superstar. Heā€™s not a superstar but theyā€™ll still move him at a profit if they choose to cut him loose.

It was definitely a calculated gamble but then again he was forced out of Dortmund by Sanchoā€™s emergence and they paid a heck of a lot of money for him.

You think heā€™ll net them a profit then? Just looked and he cost Ā£58m, I donā€™t think even Chelsea can work that kind of magic.

1 Like

Oh shit, I definitely thought it was like half of that!!

If he was willing to, MLS would pay that just to have him come back. Theyā€™d break their whole wage structure for it.

But yeah, for some reason I thought he was around the 25-30m range.

Heā€™s basically their Pepe. Overpriced, wrong guy for their system, at too big of a club and needs to drop a level down.

I mean heā€™s 24 so got 8/9 years left, and given his fairly late arrival at the top level I think he could improve significantly.
Heā€™s not had the chance to hit 20 goals, between playing for a poor Everton team, injury and starting late as above.

Heā€™s had 4 proper seasons in the PL and his output has grown every single year.

So Iā€™d absolutely have him as our focal point now, and whoever else we end up signing he would be a great:
Second striker in a 2
Different option tactically for games we want to be more direct
Sub to bring on to get a goal at the end of a game.
Improvement in set pieces at both ends - were quite a small team

Barring City who would refuse to ever play direct under Pep, Iā€™d apply the above to almost any team in world football.
Between that and the fact heā€™s English I canā€™t see his value ever dropping too far.

At the end of the day if youā€™re getting goals as a striker thereā€™s not much else you can do about the teamā€™s performance.

All Iā€™d say is look at how theyā€™ve played this season.
2 wins and a draw in the games he played before injury, 3 wins from the next 16. All home games against Burnley, Norwich and us.

Not sure Evertonā€™s a poor side. Yes, theyā€™re having an awful season now but they were pretty decent under Ancelotti and he has been their focal point for some time now. He does miss a fair amount of chances too. Remember the games we played against them recently. Should have bagged 4-5 goals against us but he was wasteful. His numbers are decent but Iā€™m not sure theyā€™ll go much higher anytime soon.

I liked him as a player even when he was moreso a hard working forward for Everton but I honestly never considered him good enough for a top side.

His appearance on MNF was decent and he sounds like a good lad but Iā€™m not really convinced by him. Perhaps Arteta and co. know something more. You would think Arteta has connections at Everton too to know a little bit more about him.
For what is worth, even with Isak Iā€™m not fully convinced. Similarly, I just hope Arteta and co. have done their due diligence and have a plan to elevate them to the next level.
Weā€™ll see.

I donā€™t remember who else was tbh, but I was yearning for his signature.
Used to appreciate how direct he was on the left side for Wolves. Weā€™ve had issues with that position since Sanchez left, I felt Jota would have been a good replacement. Now Iā€™d like ASM although Martinelli is growing into a baller now and needs the game time.

1 Like

So whatā€™s the deal here with Atleti? We want Lautaro, they want Lautaro. We want Vlahovic, they want Vlahovic. We want DCL, they want DCL. :rofl:

Everton want 40m for him?

Thatā€™s a lot of money.

NGL if we donā€™t sign a striker in January (looking like thatā€™s going to be the case) and we end up with DCL as our big marquee striker signing in the summer, Iā€™ll be a little disappointed. Heā€™s not a Kevin Davies but heā€™s also just not a top tier (or second tier, or maybe even third tier?) striker.

Watching the Everton-Villa game rn trying to talk myself into feeling good about the potential signing.

2 Likes

Saw someone call him mixed race Chris Wood yesterday on Twitter. Cracked me up, perhaps because itā€™s low-key true.

1 Like

If we can get him for 40m, that would be ok.
In the last couple of seasons heā€™s averaging around a goal every other game for a poor Everton side and scored in all three of his first games this season before his injury.

He might also be a player that wants to play for us, unlike Vlahovic who seems to be motivated by greed rather than a desire to play for Arteta.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty harsh.

I think heā€™s got more range than Chris Wood. The question is whether he could do a Mane here. Go from being a seemingly solid player in a smaller team to being a key player for a team that has Top 4 (or more!) ambitions.

I think his frame is interesting too. He still looks lanky to me, but a little stronger than Auba who also always looked lanky.

1 Like

Thatā€™s down to the high heels and flattering slim dress making him look taller. :grinning:

2 Likes

Christ. :rofl:

Oh ffs. :sweat_smile: