Arsenal transfers 23/24

Had to recalibrate our targets in light of no CL.

United have no CL

2 Likes

Weā€™ll have to make do with D&GL sauntering up top.

Yeah, like we dropped our interest in top 4.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re right.
There are a lot of clubs looking for good players and, like Wenger always used to say, ā€œwe have to see what other clubs do before we can buy anyone.ā€

Itā€™s not just Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea who will get first pick, thereā€™s new money bags Newcastle and regular big spenders Man U.

It also means spurs will retain their best players and strengthen because they have the attraction of Conte and CL football, while we rummage around for whatā€™s left.
They might not be able to invest as much as us but Conte is way more efficient in the transfer market.

Good players want to go to top teams with elite managerā€™s and a chance to win the top trophies.
Weā€™ve got neither so weā€™re going to have to adjust our expectations in the transfer market.

What top player will be attracted to a club only playing in the EL, with a loser like Arteta as manager?

1 Like

But Pep said Arteta was so so so so talented!

Also, I have a legit fear we are dropping into EC places. Those head to head matches with ManU and West Ham make me nervous right now. Hopefully ManU will be checked out and West Ham will be exhausted when we play.

1 Like

Phew, thatā€™s ok then, I forgot Guardiola said that. :grinning:

I think weā€™ll be ok for the EL places because Man U and West Ham arenā€™t in great form either.
So with the lure of Arteta and EL football we should be an attractive proposition for any elite player.

1 Like

Arteta has a good rep within the football circle so Iā€™m not sure that appliesā€¦

But most of that the people in that circle are spurs supporters. :grinning:

1 Like

FFS

Sky Sports reporting that Ruben Neves is one of our main summer transfer targets.

I like him but donā€™t understand why we didnā€™t just go for him last summer and fuck Elneny off somewhere for 5m

1 Like

Yeah seems bizarre given he was coming off the back of a season which didnā€™t herald much in the way of plaudits.

Fast forward to 2022 and heā€™s having a strong season and Wolves can probably command a bit more now too

Definitely feel like that Sambi chunk of change would have been better thrown at someone like Neves. I love buying young potential but itā€™s not a luxury our squad has right now. Someone like Neves would have came straight in and challenged Xhaka and maybe even Partey

1 Like

Players in:
DCL
Neves
Possibly LB and RB cover.

Players out:
Leno and several players out on loan Torreira, Mavro, Bellerin, Mari and Guendouzi.
But with our obvious lack of depth Arteta might keep AMN, Saliba and Nelson.
He might also keep Lacazette or Nketiah unless heā€™s going to buy two decent strikers.

But I doubt weā€™ll have a net spend of much more than 50m because weā€™ll have no CL football.

Weā€™ll have a much better summer than that I reckon. We rarely go after the names weā€™re heavily linked with. Iā€™m sure we have a few ambitious moves at play, especially off the back of this yearā€™s clear out

1 Like

I think DCL and Neves would actually be good signings for positions where we need an upgrade so anything on top of that would be a bonus.

Itā€™s our lack of depth that is the real problem, especially with more games playing in the EL.
So with limited resources, itā€™s going to take a lot more than the next window to sort that out.

Id take those signings too, we canā€™t turn our nose up at these kind of signings while we try to build our squad. I do think itā€™s contingent on getting them for the right price. The foundation of our squad is actually very good, I love our first 11 other than Xhakazette which really brings down our quality- the Wenger clear out is not over.

Our depth and bench is absolute memetier though and is something that needs addressed. Well probably sell Pepe and look for a replacement.

I think itā€™s actually going to be a really exciting summer, our wages are in the perfect shape to rebuild the squad for the first time in like 10 years

1 Like

Pricing is a bit much. I think the club are doing well walking away from this. This screams of a massive flop for the money quoted.
Definitely the type of transfer Man Utd would go for.

2 Likes

Are we actually interested in DCL? Not seen any concrete links for a while.