Arsenal transfers 23/24

We’ve shown with Pepe we can’t get the best out of these types of wingers. I’d love him here with a design on playing at striker more but I just don’t think Arteta would get much of him.

2 Likes

As much as I like Zaha, he is almost thirty and we should have bought him a couple of seasons ago but wasted the money on Pepe, who was an unproven player in the PL.

Another example of not getting experienced, proven quality when we needed it, and then having to spend more money, just to sort it out.

Unless we sell Pepe, or one of our other attacking players, I can’t see this happening.
What a shambles.

1 Like

This again :xhaka:

Zaha is a pure winger, Pepe is an inside forward come number 9.

At 50-60m you go for it as he’s 29 next season. More than that forget about it.

I always think Zaha looks best when he’s operating as practically a striker so I disagree with that. Zaha is essentially what everyone seems to want Auba to be.

In theory Zaha Auba Pepe/Saka could be excellent, I do agree with the cost and risk though.

If I was spending money at Palace I’d bring Eze back.

1 Like

Zaha is a pure dribbling machine come pace merchant. He’s probably better as a goal scorer than provider but if you have Auba up front and another talented winger it gives him more space on the wing in theory.

Good to see the club weakening there rivals by poaching their best player. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I have to believe it’s a fake rumor, but maybe not because we keep targeting this same profile of player lmaooo.

This club are fucking deluded as they come. Constantly buying these late 20 year olds as if they are the missing piece of the puzzle and are gonna win us the CL or some shit. When in reality we aren’t a win now team. The right profile of player we should be targeting is Ødeegard at 50m, not a guy like Partey at 50m. Even Buendia is getting older for us, he’s 25 I think but a 5 year contract would be perfect for a dood that age because then you’ve got a resale value at 28 or 29.

Long story short, we are just massively dumb and wasteful with our resources, we could not be run more terribly if we tried.

4 Likes

It would be just about the most Arsenal thing in the world to be choosing between two wingers who are international teammates and are both between the 70-80m range, to pick one of them for that price, and then to end up still moving for the other a couple of years later when he’s approaching 30. That’s in keeping with our behavior as a club, which is why I can actually believe this.

You’re right but I think we’ve shown that what we can’t be trusted with really is money. We’ve spent more money than we’ve ever spent the last few years and we’ve been fucking woeful with it.

2 Likes

I agree, but it’s not so much the money, it’s the infrastructure at the top who are spending the money.

Pepe for £72 million shouldn’t be a huge deal to a club like ours, the big problem is we splurge that kind of money with very little foresight in terms of the collective idea that a manager wants.

Wenger via Gazidis bought a bunch of players that didn’t suit the framework of the squad, Sven brought in some weird Bundi/BVB half squad for a Spanish manager in Emery which clearly never had a chance at cohesion.

Even though January was brilliant it’s clear Arteta is still struggling with this weird mix match squad with players that seemingly no-one at the club wanted- and if anyone did want them that person has been sacked or moved on years ago.

It’s a shit domino effect that seems to never fucking end, and if we back Arteta in summer and then sack him 6 months later then the next manager will have the exact same problem.

If Arteta wins the EL then I really think as cruel as it is we need to consider replacing him with an experienced manager and give them a chance to shape their own squad with £150m, we’ll never get a better chance to start fresh.

7 Likes

You fix that by hiring a competent DoF, saying we’re going to be a counter attacking team or a possession team or an innovative eight-up-front team and then recruit accordingly, players AND coach.

4 Likes

This simple really.

Hire Luis Campos and give him the keys

6 Likes

Can’t believe no one is throwing the bank at him or entrusting him with a bigger project. His recruitment is unmatched.

Luis Campos + Allegri is dream stuff this club could pull if it had the ambition.

4 Likes

@RockyMaivia I found Allegri’s brand of soccer a little beige for my liking and I’m not sure he’s the right guy for a young rebuild.

1 Like

Luis Campos + my boy Seoane and it’s a wrap for the rest of the world.

1 Like

Luis Campos can’t leave. He’s bound to some nonsense contract last time I checked. He’s been trying to leave for ages.

He left in December no?

Lille still controls his rights for another three years. It would be a breach of contract for him to sign anywhere else, unless there’s a buyout

1 Like

Ah the good old noncompete clause. We read some insane cases in school about really restrictive ones that were struck down but good for him. He’s getting paid out, probably relaxing and weighing up his options. The football marketplace will probably look way different in three years anyway.

1 Like