Arsenal transfers 23/24

Looks like AFC Bell and @Stroller the Oracle will be validated again here. Not in favour of this move at all, however where ever heā€™s played the fans seem to love him and always hold him in contention for their player of season. So fingers crossed we get Aaron ā€œthe regulatorā€ Ramsdale and not the ā€œRelegatorā€ :joy::rofl:

7 Likes

Only solace is itā€™s the perfect cocktail for a p45

1 Like

Personally wouldā€™ve tried for the following this summer:

Martinez (40m) - go cap in hand, admit we fucked up and offer double what they paid us last year.
Mat Ryan (free) - why not? Good keeper for no money.
Saliba (keep and use) - Mixed feelings on him but canā€™t be 50m worse than White.
Aouar (25m) - Potential attitude issues but take a punt and try to fix our central midfield creativity.
Edouard (20m) - Less sure on this one but practically any young striker we could take a punt on.

Letā€™s assume those fees are a bit low and say ~100m total spend there.

Then you look at whether the club can sell the following:

Willock (25m) - done.
Xhaka (15m) - we all wish
Bellerin (15m)
AMN (15m)
Guendouzi (5m) - okay went on loan but we couldā€™ve gotten 5m surely.

That would be 4 players out for around 75m. Two of which need replacing (Bellerin and Xhaka) but with a net spend so far of 25mā€¦Iā€™m sure that could be achieved. There are also other players (e.g. Torreira) that could be offloaded for more funds.

Doesnā€™t feel so difficult to me, obviously without knowing the interest and contract details, and I get the euros makes things more difficult, but fuck me why are we still in such a shit situation?

ā€œI suppose this is a good fee if he turns out not to be shit haha.ā€ I think that might be a football agent saying.

1 Like

I think we might still have a few of these lined up before the window closes. Iā€™ll be surprised if Arsenal all of a sudden are just spending gobs of cash that weā€™ve never spent before, during the midst of a pandemic. Think a few more exits are on the cards, smart to bring some transfers in first.

1 Like

:joy::rofl: whoever runs their account always on point.

21 Likes

Just get the feeling that we would buy Harry Kane, and then let him rot in the reserves until City give us half what we paid for himā€¦ :smirk:

2 Likes

At least all our signings are 23 and under, but yeah our net spend this summer and the only position I really feel weā€™ve had an upgrade is at CB is deflating.

We refused to get rid of most of the deadwood to this point and next summer I can already say we need a quality RB, CM and striker.

4 Likes

I agree, one more progressive signing would turn it around but itā€™s been a very sideways window for me thus far.

Itā€™s hard to be too critical because the age of the players has been spot on but itā€™s going to be another average season unless we have something hid up our sleeves here before the window finishes.

3 Likes

Our signings just arenā€™t impressive against the competition, we have an issue of Top 4 or bust and Lukaku, Sancho, Grealish is just better than what weā€™re doing right now. Not to mention they got better teams anyway.

Donā€™t see this team amassing 70 points.

8 Likes

We may not see top four for half a decade at this rate.

4 Likes

They arenā€™t even particularly impressive by our own standards. Pepe, Partey, Ozil, Alexis, all players that get you excited with the potential to move the needle a little.

So far this has been as bog standard Arsenal window as you get. Still time but probably not enough to do anything that would really shake up our chances of top 4.

5 Likes

we can win the conference league to qualify for Europa . Then win the Europa the season after which will then qualify for the Champions league the season after that.

1 Like

The expectation for Arteta should be to be the next best outside the top 4 and ready to pounce if one throws in a poor season.

Our squad isnā€™t great but itā€™s his 2nd full season and he has been backed enough financially in his 30 months to expect a top 5 finish.

3 Likes

Still donā€™t even think our squad is top 4 quality,maybe top 6, but Arteta has only been our manager since Dec 2019.

I agree but the fact weā€™re dropping our expectation to not finish in the top 4 means the last couple of years has been squandered. Time for big systemic changes at this club.

6 Likes

How have we went from this.

to 8th as fuck two season in a row in three seasons with the majority of the same squad lol

Iā€™m saying itā€™ll be 30 months by the end of the season, if he canā€™t have 1 top 5 finish in 30 months with the net spend weā€™ve had then itā€™s cya later.

The players that got us there have gotten older, greedier, fatter, lazier and have fallen out of love with the club. Combine that with spending more time trying get wasters out of the club rather than bringing new fresh young and talented blood in and then itā€™s really quite simple.

I mean Artetaā€™s shit tactics havenā€™t helped but they arenā€™t the sole reason by any means.

@Aussiegooner, yeh that makes sense, I still personally feel like if we want top 4 with any manager in world football then weā€™re going to need more of a squad overhaul but at the same time I agree that Arteta has had more than enough time to force the boards hand in regards to bringing in the right players.

I just fear weā€™ll never hire anyone other than the type of manager who is so excited for the job heā€™ll delude himself into believing he can work with what we have.

5 Likes

United got better.

2 Likes