Arsenal transfers 23/24

Yeah I don’t understand the logic in getting Kurzawa when we have Tierney and Kolasinac.

Kola has been just fine, I honestly don’t see the point in 3 LBs especially not if one of them is super injury prone.

2 Likes

Just had a look at Mertens stats, he’s still doing pretty well tbh.

Selling Lacazette and signing Mertens on a free could make some sense. Not sure how capable of pressing and maintaining a high level of intensity he is though, people who watch him more would have to say.

Don’t think he has the legs he did 2 seasons ago under Sarri when he could press with intensity. But a 30 minute Mertens could definitely still do a job.

I think signing a 29-30 year old Mertens would have been a dream for Arteta.

I think it would have been a dream for most of us. I’d actually love us to throw a few coins at Napoli now and see if we could get him in January. I think he’d make the rest of this season exciting, and I think people put way too much stock in age these days, now if a player is over 26 people consider him ready for retirement- without ever really looking at what type of player it is.

Small technical players like Mertens score their goals through craft and guile, his games never been about size and strength so he could easily walk into this side and be one of our most important players. Hell look at Santi still doing bits in Spain after all he went through at his age. When you have that game-craft you can get an extra year or two out of yourself at the top levels.

2 Likes

A five year deal for a guy who barely plays, has injury problems, form problems and is probably making too much money at PSG?

Seems totally legit.

Saw a rumor on Twitter that this was basically another super agent deal/contact based recruitment. Hopefully it’s not true.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Layvin Kurzawa

I think the issue with Mertens is that he may not rely on his physicality but players age nonetheless and part of his excellence was his combination of skill, technique and his strong tactical adherence and awareness.

Hopefully we can bring him in and his all round quality can shine for at least 6-18 months but I’m not quite as optimistic as I would have been if we got him 2-3 years ago.

1 Like

Nothing to Guimaraes, Kurzawa coming, Ceballos not favoured.

Orny giveth and Orny taketh away… :santi:

Shit, Guimares looked like a really tidy, technical midfielder.

1 Like

Feels like Ceballos has been struggling with injuries forever now (both at Arsenal and Madrid).

Still interested to see how he looks under Arteta.

Season is long, things can change fast.

edit: also, fuck Orny. Can it get any more ‘cover my bases’ than “told by a couple of people that this is just media speculation at this moment in time (could change)”

I choose to believe in Guimaraes.

GASPARGODTETIOLAREIGNOGASMOOOOOOO

4 Likes

Ceballos has had one good half an hour vs Burnley.

I won’t be crying if Arteta doesn’t want him.

5 Likes

What about them pirouettes though? He does them so well, even when it doesn’t provide anything of value.

1 Like

Good listen this!

You have to take that in to account the other way as well. If he wasn’t on a worse team would he even be playing?

1 Like

It’s kinda weird how Ziyech seems to be such a good player but no matter Ajax pushing him like crack at the 5 o’clock free crack giveaway there doesn’t seem to be that much real interest…

Trying to figure out what is the reason for this? @A.F any ideas? Maybe no one thinks he can defend or form a real part of a team at a higher level?

Edit: whoever made my profile pic that is a real bastard. God damn mod crew :crazy_face::crazy_face::rofl::rofl::sunglasses::sunglasses::unamused::unamused::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::hugs::hugs::rage::rage::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I agree. We have to be aiming at someone like Santi in that position and while Ceballos has shown flashes of that quality, it’s no where near enough to suggest we should stick with him.

Absolutely ridiculous that we haven’t bought anyone.

1 Like

It’s hardly surprising. Most of the transfers will happen in the last 2-3 days of the window.

Sevilla (and probably some other sides) wanted to sign him. Maybe that’s not the top level but Arsenal is not one of the best teams around now either.

No clue why no bigger clubs wanted him.

I got it with Fekir because of his bum knees but I can’t understand why nobody wants to take a punt on Ziyech.

I didn’t believe he had what it took to take the step up but he’s shown such unbelievable consistency in his performances at a higher level that you start to think it’s worth the punt at the prices being quoted.

It’s totally baffling that he was available for less than €30m and none of the bigger named clubs wanted to take a chance. United were crying out for a number 10 and RW of quality and Ziyech has the versatility to plug both holes.

Baffling really. There has to be something we don’t know

1 Like