Arsenal Football Club History

Yeah that 4-4 was all Almunia letting spurs score 3 easy goals.

2 Likes

Lost count of how many times this shitter would get caught off his line.

2 Likes

The history is written that because Lehmann was dropped for Almunia he was worse but it’s just so blatantly untrue. If we’d stuck with Lehmann we’d have had a solid keeper for another 2, maybe 3 seasons. He obviously wasn’t going to stick around and play second fiddle to that. It’s the most infuriating decision Wenger made for me, making Almuina his number one.

3 Likes

The idea to replace Lehmann was probably a good one imo, the issue is that the replacement was the junkie, Sick Boy looking shitter that was Almunia.

Wenger’s record on goalkeepers isn’t great.

2 Likes

Didn’t he chose not to sign Scwarzer in 2009 or 2010 because he didn’t want to pay an extra million or so lol

2 Likes

Up until we bought Cech, Wenger hadn’t paid more than about 4m for a GK.
He used to treat spending money on GK’s as an occupational hazard. :grinning:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Yep.

I think some Gooners forget that Lehmann made mistakes in the opening 2 games of the PL season that year.

1 Like

And then went back to Germany to prove he was still infinitely more competent a keeper than Almunia. Replacing Lehmann was never the issue, I’d gladly replace any player in our teams over the years at any time if the incoming player was better. But that just wasn’t the case here which is why I always fault it was harsh of Wenger to drop him for a couple of early season mistakes and replace him with someone who could barely hold onto the ball lol

2 Likes
2 Likes

That was probably my favourite NLD.
It had everything.

9 goals, 9 different scorers. Would be surprised if that’s been replicated since.

I think the first 5-2 edges it for me.

Mourinho the cunt “it is not football. It is hockey match”

And the English media f’ckin pandering to him, as if everything he said was profound and philosophical.

1 Like

The 5pur2 wins were great but for excitement and tension the 5-4 win is hard to beat especially as we were away.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can totally see where you’re coming from with that one. My view is likely enhanced by being in the ground for the 5-2, that’ll often influence me I terms of how fondly I remember a game and where I rank it versus one’s I watched on telly.

1 Like

Funnily enough @JakeyBoy @InvincibleDB10 the most I’ve cheered an Arsenal goal in a NLD wasn’t actually in a win.

It was Henry’s equaliser at Highbury in the 05/06 season. Carrick had perhaps his best game ever, in my opinion. It was our last NLD at Highbury, Davids had arguably cheated by not putting the ball out for Spurs to go ahead and Henry’s equaliser was while we were running out of time.

(And yes, I cheered louder than Vieira’s opener within 2 mins at WHL in 2004- which was pretty loud in itself!)

3 Likes

The greatest goal I have EVER seen and CHEERED was Michael Thomas at Anfield, 1989…

Never to be bettered…

3 Likes

I was totally numb when that went in. Mine was Adams at Wembley against spuds and totally erased that cancer of 91.
Special mention would also be given for Lee Dixon’s red card on Anderton too. Glorious wonderful soul cleansing day that was.

2 Likes