Alvaro Morata

I’ve got to say it amazes me every time the amount of Arsenal fans I hear call Laca world class when he’s your typical 13-15 goal a year striker and maybe 20 in all competitions. I understand he was 20+ league goals consistently in France but that doesn’t mean world class IMO.

1 Like

Look at treble and aussie holding each others dicks with their shite Lacazette patter :no_mouth:

5 Likes

Just because we said he wouldn’t be the 30 goal a season striker when we signed him which has proven to be correct.

1 Like

It’s definitely strange, and I hope a side like Chelsea looks at him the same (doubtful). Look at the situation we’ve got with him tho and it’s typical Arsenal. He’s not really top level, we paid way too much for him, and by the end of his contract he’ll have little resale value and he will have toiled away here with his 15 goals helping us to maintain or 4 - 6 spot.

As much as I hate to admit it tho Aussie, ur completely correct about the insanely stupid business lolpool rope desperate clubs into. Getting 150m for Coutinho is criminal, but Barca were losing their legends and needed a hot shot replacement. We should be looking to offload guys in the same manner but we keep making the same mistakes.

1 Like

I don’t actually have any recollection reading a poster say Laca is world class because he clearly isn’t. You’d have to post more than one or two examples because if it is an opinion held it’s clearly not a very common one.

1 Like

This was like a week ago, lol u don’t remember a lot of stuff. First nobody ever said Torreira and Santi were similar, and now nobody said Laca was world class. Doesn’t cost much to pay attention my dood 🖒🖒 Anyways, Aussie is speaking directly to the offender of the Laca is world class hot take so yeh his comment regardless of how many ppl have said it, makes perfect sense.

1 Like

Hahah I knew that specific one was coming, find someone other than @calum, everyone knows how hard he stans Laca :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lol we’ve had this discussion already. The debate over the term ‘world class’ is the issue here. When Laca was signed the forum was excited and some ppl were throwing out stuff like he is gonna win the golden boot or fire us back into the CL. I dunno if that’s gonna happen or not but I don’t rate him as highly as others seem to.

1 Like

I’m not trying to debate you, I was just having a friendly dig at Cal, that’s why I tagged him.

1 Like

Probably bollocks, but I read today that ManUre were preparing to pry Coutinho from Barca. Fucking Lolpool meltdown incoming, boys and girls.

Not just that though is it. You were even ranting about Walcott not getting the nod over him.

Seriously, bring more to the table than that. I asked for more than just one or two examples because it seems to me that you and @Aussiegooner are so wrapped up in your anti-Lacazette agenda that you’re still pedaling this myth that Arsenal fans rate Laca as a world class player. It’s not a commonly held opinion at all and a frankly ridiculous one. He’s not a top striker and never has been and that’s why it took so long for a big club to give him a chance and we did so out of desperation. Virtually every Arsenal fan I talk to know likes Lacazette and wants him to do well but accepts he isn’t even close to being the scorer that Auba is.

However you can forgive people’s optimism because it was something different and we desperately needed that after years of stagnation and things just not working with the same players.

I’m not anti Lacazette, I’ve always said he’s a decent to good player and will score around the 15 league goal mark from the moment we signed him.

It’s not so much this forum that rates him as world class in fairness, although I might go back and read some posts when we first signed him when I can be bothered, as I do remember lots on this platform were bouncing.

Good, glad we are all on the same page.

I’m not sure why we’d want to sell one of our better players to a rival and then gamble on 2 other players who may or may not come good. And then when Aubameyang gets injured who are we playing as striker?

If this season has demonstrated anything for us, it’s that goals off the bench and striker depth is incredibly useful. That’s why Fergie used to stockpile strikers and always had 2 strikers on the bench ready to come on and nick a goal.

Also Lacazette deal was allot of money by our standards but compared to Lukaku and Morata he is proving to be a successful signing. We will have 5 of peak years, so that’s 12m per season. 60m isn’t huge money in the market today. Lukaku cost 90m, Morata cost 65m, Lemar cost about 60m. Alexis Sanchez is costing 26m a season in wages I believe.

We say that but Lukaku has a better goalscoring record and Morata has a near identical one. But I guess we win through default of him costing less than both of them. He definitely falls in the same bracket of striker as they do though. The tier below the top strikers (Kane, Aguero, Aubameyang).

1 Like

I am pretty sure Lukaku cost £75m.

If I’m right it might seem pedantic of me, but if we’re quoting costs in a comparison then the extra 15m makes a difference to the discussion.

1 Like

In terms of goals and assists per minute over 2 seasons in Europe and the PL Laca is shading both. This season Laca has 8 goals and 6 assists in 1400 minutes, Lukaku has 8 goals and 1 assist in 1600 minutes, Morata gas 7 goals and 0 assists in nearly 1200 minutes. Last season Laca had 17 goals and 4 assists in 2400 mins, Lukaku had 21 and 7 assists in 3500 mins, Morata had 12 and 6 in 2300 mins. Now you can argue our European opponents skews it but he still has better stats in the PL

Lukaku also breaks down attacks with his first touch and technique and his goal rate has dropped off this year as he’s been vastly out of shape. You have to set up an attack to feed him with crosses where as other players will interchange better. That’s why he’s scored less at United than he scored at Everton because all the attacks were targeted through him but you can’t do that at a big club. He also is generally crap in big games.

So yes I think we have the best player of the 3 and I also think last year was an adjusting year where he had a baron spell. I expect we’ll see him grow as a player especially if we buy more creative players to service him.

3 Likes

I seem to remember reading the initial fee being 75m with 15m of add ons that should be quite easy to hit.