Alex Iwobi

So Iwobi is our new sacpgoat :+1:t5:

No, heā€™s just not good.

7 Likes

There worse players in our crop of players

Like most of our defenders.
But we have two very good goal scorers and we have to rely on them to score at least two goals a game because we rarely keep a clean sheet and the main suppliers to Aubameyang and Lacazette are Ozil and Iwobi and neither are doing the business.

I think Iwobi is a great squad player to have, and has had games where he looks effective, but he is far too inconsistent to be considered a first team regular.

This is a position that has needed sorting out for several seasons and should be a priority in the next transfer window for Emery.

4 Likes

I actually agree with what you have written. Some has just gone over the top. For me both he and miki has given us less than what is required on our wings. To be fair to both neither of them are actual wingers

2 Likes

Somebody had to take Ramseyā€™s crown :joy:

The biggest problem with the stats posted show that Iwobiā€™s greatest talent is the teamā€™s greatest weakness. All the time Iwobi spends progressing the ball up the pitch means nothing if he concedes possession once he gets to the byline.

Furthermore his decision making is about as bad as Iā€™ve seen from an Arsenal player, if you give him a decision to make heā€™ll choose the wrong play first time every time.

Ultimately you end up with a player having the ball in nearly all of our attacks but unable to do anything with it and the reason why I see this as the teamā€™s weakness is because every time Iwobi is cluelessly meandering up the pitch its wasting time where our better players could be using the ball more efficiently.

I think back to when we had the Holy trinity of rvp/cesc/arshavin all seeing equal shares of the ball, playing dynamic, free flowing football in triangles. Right now we have the unholy singular Iwobi running in a straight line with the ball and faltering at the first sign of a defender or a difficult pass.

Yeh our attack certainly isnā€™t fine because of Iwobi.

7 Likes

It doesnā€™t help when Ozil isnā€™t playing which leaves Iwobi to be the main supplier.
Itā€™s not his fault but until we sort out the Ozil, Mkhitayran and Ramsey situations and get replacements or get them playing properly, we are stuck with a complete lack of creativity in midfield unless Suarez turns into some sort of midfield genius.

2 Likes

Emery has tried to sort it out by signing his love child Suarez.

1 Like

Well, those attributes are things that already come with you. Youā€™re born with them. Raised with them. I mean, you can refine your runs but itā€™s not easy to exceed your physical limitations or have a low center of gravity for example. Being agile is another. Working on your end product is far more doable than those. Itā€™s one of the reasons stats like xG and xA are key in finding talent nowadays. Get players that manage to get into positions or are involved in goal sequences and work on their end product.

Shoots on goal when a cut back would mean a certain goal. Dumb f*ck.

I could say the same of gervinho, walcott and Oxlade-wankerlin while they were with us.

They were Wengerised

I know it was a deflection but maybe claiming that goal today will give him some confidence.

The return of Iwobinho.

Too soon?

2 Likes

Iwobi in a nutshell: score a good goal, still canā€™t cross.

He scores and then proceeds to destroy all the good will that comes from that over the next 90 minutes. Heā€™s something elseā€¦

2 Likes

Had more of the chances today in the absence of PEA and a fair few came his way which he proceeded to mess up. Gets more minutes than he deserves now.

His goal was basically a keeper error too.

2 Likes

The funniest part about Iwobi today was when he was flagged for offside, he blasted the ball into the top corner in an emphatic fashion that Iā€™ve never seen from him before, and doubt Iā€™ll ever see again.

6 Likes

I wonder if playing under late-era Wenger really did him a disservice. We were fumbling around for a playing style and had a guy like Alexis in the team who was not shy of acting like an asshole if the ball didnā€™t get to him.

Yeah Alexis didnā€™t exactly help his confidence, I think he looks to be a bit more confident this season. I just think his execution is poor, I donā€™t really know what the issue is other then that.