Alex Iwobi

Sorry if I’m being an idiot but what is ball progression?

I’ve just took it to mean going forward with the ball. Probably only within the opposition half or something.

Yeah that was my guess along those lines too. Not surprised it isn’t a universally observed thing/stat.

End product stats please. What useless information that is above.

2 Likes

Ball progression? Really? Why?

1 Like

Sorry for being “ignorant”…

As an attacker, if you don’t have end product, everything is nonsense.

This “ball progression” is utterly bullshit.

Actually, it’s a good stat. Developing your end product isn’t that hard. That’s where the elite mentality comes in and talents become superstars.
The potential is there for Iwobi. He needs to work in the areas needed and he’ll come good.

1 Like

Seriously, no.

You mentioned “elite mentality”… and please show me how you found it.

At the age of 22 and you still don’t have the “end product”, sadly he is not going to make it.
If you are shit, probably you will be an average shooter/passer… If you are average, like Iwobi, probably he will be just an okay/decent shooter/passer.
In reality, there are not that many late bloomers.

It’s literally the thing that stops good players being great players so I couldn’t disagree more with this.

12 Likes

The only thing this stat tells me is the style of player Iwobi is, it doesn’t say anything else.

Rubbish stat.

Believe it or not, if those players took time to spend, working on their final product or at least sharpening it, they would vastly improve. Guys like Sterling went a level above doing that. Let’s not forget before his big, big season in 2017-2018 he was linked with us as a potential swap with Alexis. There were many people who snubbed him because of his end product.
Again hard is relative. Improving your pace or even jump considerably could be near impossible. Improving your dribbling and agility is also tough. Improving your end product, given you put the work in, is much more achievable.

1 Like

just under 0.5 goals and assists per game :joy:

1 Like

That’s not too bad, is it? Player plays 40 games in a season and gets ten goals and ten assists, or 5 goals and 15 asists, or vice versa.

Seems like that would be decent output for a twenty two year old academy guy, to the extent that I’m surprised Iwobi is apparently delivering that so far this season.

1 Like

If you have to defend the numbers by calling them not to bad, then it doesn’t sound they are any good really. Players like that will probably get you EL football (where he can rack this number up a little bit against the farmers of Eastern Europe). But if we so readily accept mediocre players with mediocre numbers why do we cry so much about any ambition?

I mean he starts as one of the attacking 3 for one of the top 5-6 attacking sides in one of the strongest leagues in the world. You put there any player that is half decent and he’ll rack similar output just because of the law of averages.

I don’t even know if these numbers are true but his PL stats are 0.27 goals and assists per game (2g and 4a in 22 games). Mkhitaryan has 0.35 goals and assists per game in quite a few less games played and he goes by the nickname 6/10. If he is a 6/10 what is Iwobi on 0.27 ?

I agree.
Iwobi looks dangerous and hard to defend against when he is running at players with the ball but if there is nothing to show for it, then there is no point.

He must spend a lot of time with coaches trying to perfect this and if, after all that time, it’s still not working then perhaps he isn’t going be an elite winger.

I like Iwobi because he does have that attacking urgency that we lack but it seems we might have another Walcott on our hands.
Loads of potential but realistically just short of being a top class player, which is what we need.

1 Like

Someone has mixed up the ratio’s on Iwobi’s productivity.

I said “not bad” because I had thought that you were being critical of the numbers. I’d actually say those numbers are more than decent really for a winger. I’ve got a busy day so cant start pulling up stats for other players, but leaving Iwobi aside and speaking generally, I’d have thought that if we look at wide players generally you’d find that a direct goal contribution every two games is generally not bad levels of producivity. But could be wrong!

I will add that the numbers didnt sound right to me either, I’d be surprised if those are his actual numbers

Im not arguing Iwobi is good enough or that I’m impressed with him, Im just unsure that 0.5 goals or assists per game is laughable.

0.5 goals/ assists per game is decent, if only that was actually Iwobi’s productivity.

I see your point. 0.5 is alright (I say that with reservation because you always need context to make proper sense of stats).

I laughed because you don’t just put some botched up stat out there and expect people to be Allah Akbar.

Iwobi’s numbers are laughable for a club like Arsenal.

Why are you talking about relative things in a quantitative manner?
What evidence do you have to prove that improving end product is harder than dribbling or agility?

Do you have more than one example to show for players who have considerably improved their end product thanks to hard work vs evidence of players who have failed to improve their end product because they have refused to work hard?