Ainsley Maitland-Niles

I don’t agree with that at all but that’s fair for believing he can do it in the middle. We’ve yet to see his capacity in and around that area consistently for Arsenal, it could work however I hold no confidence in it being so.

I hope with the impending departure of Ramsey and hopefully steering away from Xhaka, we sign a technically superior player than what we currently possess.

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me if our focus at bringing a top winger and top CB strips us from getting a top midfielder coming in. Could see us just getting an experienced midfielder to support the mostly kiddos that will be around next season.

To be fair I didn’t see us suffer that much creatively with a midfield duo of Torreira-Guendouzi. I thought that was one of our best performances in the season.
I can understand question marks over AMN but don’t think the vibes that Torreira and Guendouzi are some kind of creative vacuums are fair. Personally, they have shown me enough, in their first season no less, to suggest the sky is the limit for those two(Torreira as a #6 and Matteo as a #8).

1 Like

I don’t see the reason behind on why you emphasize so much on a #6 and #8 but ignore the importance of #10.

Anyway, different opinion.

You don’t have to have #10. Real Madrid, Manchester City and Juventus have all been succesful without one.

2 Likes

I should not limit to a #10, but say focal point of attack, or someone that can generate the offense, especially create something from nothing.

Yes, a #10 is not needed, when you have players like Silva/De Bryune, Ronaldo, etc.
Look at Real, how bad they are without CR7.

We don’t have a #10 (if Ozil not playing) and we don’t have the likes of De Bryune/Ronaldo but Iwobi.
Then you suggest to have a trio of Guen/Tor/AMN…

How is it going to work?
Side passing all game long? Or playing Stoke football by kicking the ball upfront and run and gun?

I am not sure.

Iwobi infact would be great in middle.

Doubtful, he struggles with his back to goal

Five superfluous words.

1 Like

No you don’t but you need players with quick incisive forward passes something our midfielders and this journeyman are incapable of.

Such low standards

Why do you think that?

He isn’t a winger for me. His strength is to drive forward and have quick exchanges with teammates.
Out wide, you are restricting his game.
When he used to deputize for Ozil in that position, he was doing really well.

1 Like

I wasn’t advocating for a Maitland-Niles / Guendouzi midfield at all. I also think that’s not going to work. But you could do without a #10.

yes, I agree, we don’t need a #10, if the #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 and #11 are good enough. (I exclude the defenseman since the topic was about attacking)

It’s all about balance, obviously, and how/by who every role is filled in.

1 Like

Again, I get having questions over AMN but Torreira and Guendouzi have shown they aren’t some creative vacuums. They’re still young and just got here, they will express themselves more in the future.

1 Like

They pretty much have, 2 league assists and 1.1 key passes per game between them, not on average, that’s their creative output. Really low for a 6 and 8 duo, by far the worst in the top 6.

1 Like

Fuck, Iniesta and Scholes must’ve been some creative vacuums too.

Iniesta and Scholes creative ability wasn’t usually shown up in the stats yes but they’re both about 10 times better stats than our sideways passers

So don’t apply that logic with them then.