Ainsley Maitland-Niles

Not sure if that was the plan initially.
The fact that they were trying to convince him to go out on loan as a RB was suspect with Bellerin apparently going in the summer.

Sell both and sign this guy on a free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11cipOZ1DaU

So true, but it will fall on deaf ears. AMN has his heart set on centre-mid.

7 Likes

I seriously can’t be fucked with a player who is more focused on where they play over who they get to play for. I agree, don’t think he listens, hope 20m is forthcoming from somewhere.

8 Likes

He’s got his heart set on being a dick, honestly this I’m a cm not a right back saga is so fucking boring and I’d love another club to have to deal with this prima-donna.

4 Likes

Big Sam spot on. Become a RB where you can make it on a non relegation level team.

3 Likes

I don’t think he enjoys playing as a defensive player.
In youth setup, he has always been in attacking position.

If he doesn’t enjoy playing as a right back, Arsenal has to provide some better value to him to continue.
Is that value being a right back for a midtable club?

Kimmich & Sergio Roberto were pushed to fullback position but that allowed them to win trophies.

If AMN doesn’t get to win trophies with Arsenal, why should he bend over backwards to play a position which he doesn’t enjoy.

If he can’t get it with Arsenal, he should look elsewhere.

I think he minds rotting on the bench or the sidelines rather than playing right back.
He doesn’t want to that stigma of being a utility player. Don’t see what’s wrong with that.
Paid his dues at Arsenal. I’m not blaming him for being ambitious.

3 Likes

I don’t mind he rates himself and prefers another position. Especially when he was willing to go on loan to a lesser club to prove himself (relatively speaking). I don’t see a reason to be down on that kind of motivation and self-determination. Nelson and Nketiah could’ve done with some of that.

But I do submit I like AMN more than most here.

6 Likes

I think he could do a job for us at RB if, hopefully, Bellerin leaves. If not he’ll fetch a decent fee we can reinvest in a quality fullback.

As it stands Bellerin, Cedric and Chambers don’t fill me with much confidences.

1 Like

Martinez backed his talent and forced the issue rather than accepting no2 spot, it appears to have worked out well for him so far.

You owe it yourself to pursue what you feel is correct at the end of the day.

Nketiah is a good example of someone who doesn’t want to rock the boat and is happy being close to starters & getting the odd minutes here and there. I’d want a loan to show Arsenal and others of my abilities. The kid has never consistently scored at any club level

1 Like

Put it this way, the valuable experience and consistent playing time AMN and Willock are getting in Premier League probably could be the difference between them making it as Premier League footballers (and us being able to sell them if we have to) rather than say Nelson/Nketiah finding themselves in the championship or even worse.

3 Likes

Tbf to Nketiah and Nelson, we don’t know what Arteta promised them.
Let’s not forget Arteta was using Nelson regularly when he arrived and praised him loads till he got injured. He also started giving Nketiah plenty of starts as well.

I think if there’s mainly someone to blame here it’s Arteta for not being straight to them. We’ve heard multiple examples of it, and it’s his biggest weakness so far as a manager.
I really can’t blame the lads if they were promised chances and they trusted Arteta and stayed loyal to the club.

That’s just conjecture on your part though. Think most would just agree there not good enough.

2 Likes

Tbf, we do know that Arteta has specifically blocked moves for many players and has even done so for Nketiah and Nelson in January and summer of 2020 respectively.

Who’s to say he didn’t do the same last January(2021)?
Likely that he saw all the outgoings and decided he’ll keep Nketiah and Nelson for depth if needed.

Yeah I really don’t understand why AMN got almost zero game time prior to his loan, especially after Arteta blocked his move.

So Robbie over at AFTV revealed that a person close to Ainsley told him that he never complained about his position. He was simply asked a question where he prefers to play and he said midfield.

Not surprised at all personally. If Mikel gave him more game time, anywhere on the pitch really, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

Anyway, I hope he finds a good place to go to this summer. Best for both parties to go our separate ways.

2 Likes

Been real silent for a guy who looked set to leave.
Is he waiting for preseason before he makes his final decision?
Did he see Bellerin leaving and thought he might get a chance again? :rofl:
Or is he seeing an opening with Xhaka and Ceballos leaving? Tbf, he can do what people want Bissoume to do.

If we can ship Bellerin I’d be happy to use the funds elsewhere and have AMN play there with Cedric backing him up, seeing as we can’t shift that prick for years.

Seems that AMN isn’t interested in that though. I respect him if he has decided he’s confident enough about his midfield abilities to drop down a level if necessary, if he’s decided that’s what he wants to do, but I think he’s a bit mad, personally.

If I had a chance to carve out a starting position at a big club, the one I’d come through the ranks of no less, I’d be grabbing that with both hands, not looking for a yoyo, West Brom level club where I could play in a better position. And that’s not just ne speaking as an Arsenal fan, I think its the sensible decision career-wise (which you can take to be synonymous with being the wise financial decision imo)

3 Likes

He didn’t leave Arsenal because he didn’t want to play RB. He left because he wasn’t getting any game time.
It’s his preference to play in midfield but that’s just it. If Arteta gave him more chances Ainsley wouldn’t want to leave.